> oil pump adjustment, 500 xcsp uses too much oil to suit me
polecat
post Dec 13 2006, 11:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 857
Current Vehicle:
2005 Polaris 500 xcsp

How do I adjust oil pump to use less oil. uses 1 quart at 100 miles, gets about 15 miles to the gallon on gas.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sponsor

xcr440
post Dec 14 2006, 09:54 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 103
Current Vehicle:
03 prox 700/ 04 Pred 500

Make sure the mark on the pump lines up with the mark on the arm at idle.

+Quote Post
samuraidoug
post Dec 22 2006, 12:29 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 887
Current Vehicle:
2003 500 xc sp

thats for stock or for less oil?...wat marks?

+Quote Post
Polaris Doc
post Jan 9 2007, 01:30 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 940
Current Vehicle:
99 XC 700 SP

QUOTE(samuraidoug @ Dec 22 2006, 01:29 PM) *

The timing marks he's talkin about are for the correct oil pump adjustment. if you look at the oil pump, you'll see the arm that gets pulled by the throttle cable. on that arm there is a stamped, straight line on the side. on the actual oil pump casing, there is a similar line. some machines had dots, but not many. these lines should be lined up perfectly at idle with the throttle cable in its normal routing position. also, the lever should move at the exact same time as the throttles do, no sooner, no later.
it's not recommended to set the pump any leaner than stock, with the lines lined up. however, if you really want to, you can usually get away with setting it a little bit lean, and i mean a little. about the width of one or two lines. set it leaner by adjusting the cable so the lever goes further back in it's swing than when you push the throttle. there are two 10mm jamb nuts that must be loosened to accomplish this. adjust the nuts up on the cable to make it pump less oil. tighten and reverify the marks. use a good synthetic oil like Polaris VES Gold. good luck. if you need more help, just ask. -Polaris Doc

+Quote Post
crdude
post Jan 13 2007, 12:20 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 337
Current Vehicle:
05IQR700/04PROXR700

so im asuming the oil pump on my 700 is also ajustable, i never knew this. i relised it was using to much oil and i thought nothing of it- people just told me that it was waring out and thats what happens when they ware out... im going to have to look at this- i was about to buy a new one, but at $182 dollers ill hold off on a new one and see if mines out of ajustment.

--------------------

+Quote Post
600HOCFI
post Jan 31 2007, 07:56 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 895
Current Vehicle:
2007 600 HO CFI

Most of the time the reason the pump starts putting out to much oil is when people put on a bar riser but dont also buy a cable extension. They just grab the bars and pull up to make enough room and end up bending the brachet that the oil cable mounts on, right by the pump. Course any halfway smart person can realize that by doing this you are not throwing a lot more fuel than you previously were.

+Quote Post
Ru4snow
post Mar 25 2010, 04:16 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,397
Current Vehicle:
2001 Polaris xc sp 500

[quote name='samuraidoug' date='Dec 22 2006, 01:29 PM' post='5202']
[/quote

I have a 2001 Polaris 500 xc sp. I just put new rings and cleaned carburetors. I got it back together and it runs fine. I was trying to locate marks on lever of oil pump thats controlled by throttle cable to see if their lined up, but it's very difficult to see oil pump under carburetors. Should I be able to see these marks with carbs installed?

Thanks,
Tom

This post has been edited by Ru4snow: Mar 25 2010, 04:19 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
Help Search Members Calendar
BottomCorner PageBorder
BlueBar