Sponsor

dofo1
post May 16 2012, 08:09 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 930
Current Vehicle:
2006 FST

No, but the track driveshaft just pulls out of the chaincase without opening it up.

This post has been edited by ExcursionPSD: Nov 25 2012, 12:34 AM

--------------------
2006 FST Classic with 180 degree thermostat, notched drive shaft shield, re-routed/shielded wiring harness, block heater installed on bottom of engine, adjusted gas tank float, oil pressure light, Autometer boost gauge, Camoplast Ice Attack track, Snobeelers shock recalibration, cyclone hose re-routed to exhaust, 24-44 gears, YaYou's Stage 2 re-flash, helix and alternator pulley. And a 2013 Ski Doo 1200 Renegade
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
redneck sledhead
post May 17 2012, 08:26 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,647
Current Vehicle:
07 fst switch

QUOTE(tulattavik @ May 16 2012, 09:02 PM) *
Can the drive shaft bearing near the speedo sensor be replaced "in place?"

When you drop your suspension check out the rear shock, they should be recharged every year or two

--------------------
08 fst switchback 1.5 inch track, re routed vapour line, boost box reinforced, boost ref line upgrade, aftermarket boost guage, upgraded plugs, everything tucked and taped, my wifes sled

2007 fst SB 144, , 4400 miles, tunnel bag, 155,222 secondary, 120-340 primary,ps-2,, shaved 11-66 weights,racecraft intercooler,slp muffler,24-44 gears,2012 flash, cyclone reroute, boost-vac guage, tow hitch 1989 citation to tow kids,kitty cat 2006 fst classic 128, burn damage , parting out the good things, have for sale, suspension, shocks, ski's, seat, snowflap, tunnel, heat exchangers, secondary, chaincase, jackshaft, muffler, turbo, intercooler minus fan, A arms, bumpers, handle bars and covering, keeping driveshaft,primary, windshield and alternator, if i missed anything just ask

+Quote Post
tulattavik
post May 17 2012, 02:19 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,785
Current Vehicle:
09 FST IQ Touring 13000km

I just replaced it "in Place!" YES!!! Much easier than suspension removal.

+Quote Post
SnowChaser
post Jun 20 2012, 09:17 PM
Post #5

Sledder

Member No.: 1,541
Current Vehicle:
2012Polaris600Adventure

QUOTE(tulattavik @ May 17 2012, 03:19 PM) *
I just replaced it "in Place!" YES!!! Much easier than suspension removal.

I have to replace mine this year. How were you able to pry that bearing off without removing the driveshaft?

--------------------
Current sled: 2012 600 Switchback Adventure. Previous sled: 2006 FST Classic. 6200k miles, revalved shocks, PowerMadd articulating riser and throttle extension, stock thermo, gas tank float adjustment, jack shaft guard cut-out, 2008 flash, AC SilentTrack w/ studs, SLP Hot Air Elimin, geared down.

+Quote Post
tulattavik
post Jun 21 2012, 09:48 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,785
Current Vehicle:
09 FST IQ Touring 13000km

QUOTE(SnowChaser @ Jun 20 2012, 10:17 PM) *
I have to replace mine this year. How were you able to pry that bearing off without removing the driveshaft?

Hammer and wedge punch...it came off easily.

+Quote Post
Snobeeler
post Jun 22 2012, 10:26 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 934
Current Vehicle:
06 Classic, 14 Pro R 800

QUOTE(SnowChaser @ Jun 20 2012, 11:17 PM) *

You need to remove the driveshaft from the sled, then remove bearing while on bench.

--------------------
06 FST Classic............. 8,700 miles, All Updates and Team Tips Completed, Yayou's 2012 ECU Upgrade, Reinforced Boost Box, PS Advanced Rider Adjustable Boost Pressure Controller, Innovative Motorsports Data Logger, Stewert Warner Boost Gauge, 08 Spindles, SLP slt Ski's with Dual Runners, Revalved M-10 shocks, Reinforced Front A-Arm, Rebalanced Drive Clutch, SLP Heat Vents, Gearcase Alignment Done, Violet Wire Fix, Rerouted Cyclone Seperator Vent to Muffler, Jackshaft Notch, 12 Volt D-C Outlet, Gas Tank Float Level Modification, RC7PYCBX Spark Plugs.

2014 800 Switchback Pro R Adventure..........1650 Miles, Rerouted VES Solenoid Outlet (sound familiar), StudBoy Duece Runners, Heavy Rear Track Spring.

+Quote Post
Its-your-story
post Jun 23 2012, 03:34 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,233
Current Vehicle:
08 FST swb.....06 FST Cl

Do any of you guys know the exact size of that bearing so I can get one cheaper localy. Thanks

--------------------
08 FST SWB
20,637 miles yes thousand. 3600 + miles this season.
New Cobra track 1.352
155 Studboy Studs
24-44 gears
Autometer boost gauge
Devils Own water methanol injection system 2gph nozzle
Breather fix
Magnaflow straight pipe wrapped 2 1/2 inch pipe loud.
Polaris 11-74 almond spring primary clutch weights. Primary clutch balanced by Micro- Belmont G. Rapids MI. Original spark plugs.
Stock secondary
New rubber hose referance lines
Extra epoxy on the boost box seam
Yayou trick 3
Chris Burandt tunnel bag
Simmons Gen 3 skis hunt bad like a coon dog. Float good.
Motor & turbo have never been apart.
5000 miles on last belt.

Garmin nuvi 50lm
2006 FST Classic 3217 miles.
100 Studboy studs

Owner of www.Wilburslodge.com........Seney Michigan. Call for bookings.

+Quote Post
Snobeeler
post Jun 24 2012, 09:32 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Current Vehicle:
06 Classic, 14 Pro R 800

QUOTE(Its-your-story @ Jun 23 2012, 05:34 PM) *
Do any of you guys know the exact size of that bearing so I can get one cheaper localy. Thanks

http://www.polarisfiles.com/forum/index.ph...ost&p=18516

--------------------
06 FST Classic............. 8,700 miles, All Updates and Team Tips Completed, Yayou's 2012 ECU Upgrade, Reinforced Boost Box, PS Advanced Rider Adjustable Boost Pressure Controller, Innovative Motorsports Data Logger, Stewert Warner Boost Gauge, 08 Spindles, SLP slt Ski's with Dual Runners, Revalved M-10 shocks, Reinforced Front A-Arm, Rebalanced Drive Clutch, SLP Heat Vents, Gearcase Alignment Done, Violet Wire Fix, Rerouted Cyclone Seperator Vent to Muffler, Jackshaft Notch, 12 Volt D-C Outlet, Gas Tank Float Level Modification, RC7PYCBX Spark Plugs.

2014 800 Switchback Pro R Adventure..........1650 Miles, Rerouted VES Solenoid Outlet (sound familiar), StudBoy Duece Runners, Heavy Rear Track Spring.

+Quote Post
ExcursionPSD
post Nov 22 2012, 03:50 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 744
Current Vehicle:
07 FST Cruiser

QUOTE(tulattavik @ Jun 21 2012, 09:48 AM) *
Hammer and wedge punch...it came off easily.

Well done.

I removed left side Driveshaft bearing in place last February. We were in Big Bay Michigan, on a 7 day saddlebag trip. As we left the motel to go to the Thunder Bay Inn for supper, I heard a funny click, looked at my speedometer and saw the speedo in analog mode, sweep the needle back and forth once, and then go to 0. I guessed what was wrong.

After dinner, back at the motel, we rolled her on the right side. I could move the driveshaft up and down enough on the left side, to make some noise at top and bottom, so I knew it was the bearing. We changed it with just the hand tools we had on the trip.

I put a block between the driveshaft and the rear suspension, and then released all track tension, so it wouldn't be pulled back, and let the sled sit right on it's track and skis. Removed enough stuff on the left side, so I could get to the 3 nuts that hold the housing to the tunnel, next the three that hold the bearing flangette to the housing, and then pulled the housing off. A few ball bearings and the outer race fell out. (At this point my buddies believed me.)

I used a water pump pliers/Channel Lock to twist and remove the inner race from the driveshaft. The new bearing (we had one with us) was a tight fit on the shaft, but a manual press fit, no pounding or hydraulic press required. I laid the bearing and gasket in the housing, oriented the grease hole in the outer bearing race close to the grease zerk in the housing. Then dropped the flangette over them, and snugged the nuts to hold the bearing in place. I then put the housing assembly carefully back over the driveshaft, tightened the housing nuts and then the flangette nuts. Put the left side stuff back in, readjusted the track tension to where I had marked it, and removed the block between the driveshaftj and suspension. Put the tools back in the cargo rack, and backed her out. It was barely a 2 beer job.

The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) was trashed from being attacked by the ball bearings, so no speedo or odometer for the last few days. That's how you keep a sled low mileage!

This post has been edited by ExcursionPSD: Nov 25 2012, 12:33 AM

--------------------
07 FST IQ Cruiser. 15,710 miles SLP Powder Pros, 10" carbide, Fox Float IFS, MY09 LW spindle, skidplate, Racecraft intercooler & boost box, ELA Gen II exhaust, Precision Sports 2012 reflash & HD eng. mounts, full SLP intake, heat control and venting package, 136 x 1.25 RipSaw full clipped w/144 plastic doubled XL Fast-Trac 1.375 studs, Avid-Products.com external drivers on axle, revalved M10 Fox shocks, 4 inner and 2 outer idlers added, Receiver hitch & projector beam installed. rzimmer underdrive alt. pulley. AMSOIL fluids by MAXoil.com

10 600 CFI LX INTL Red Powder Pro skis, red skidplate, 108 double XL Fast-Trac 1.375, 4 rear idlers, receiver hitch

07 600 CFI Switchback Red Powder Pro skis, projector beam, red skidplate, 116 double XL Fast-Trac 1.375, receiver hitch

previously 06 FST IQ Touring SLP Powder Pros, 136 1.25 IceRipper

+Quote Post
Snobeeler
post Nov 22 2012, 06:02 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Current Vehicle:
06 Classic, 14 Pro R 800

Now thats a real MacGyver story!

--------------------

+Quote Post
CliftonParkGMan
post Jan 24 2013, 05:36 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 10,989
Current Vehicle:
06 FST 04 Edge 97 Indy

QUOTE(Snobeeler @ Jun 22 2012, 11:26 AM) *
You need to remove the driveshaft from the sled, then remove bearing while on bench.

tongue.gif I guess that you don't have to remove the driveshaft based on the other posts. biggrin.gif

I like the OP have limited tools and skills but not a lot of $$$ to pay the local dealer for simple repairs we can do at home in our garage. I searched for this because I don't have the skill or tools to deal with springs, tension issues and that would include removing the suspension system. Unfortunately the guy I bought this sled from did not grease the drive shaft area and now I have bad bearing which of course caused my speedo to go bezerk.

I don't have a bench so I appreciate when people can help other than to tell me I have to do something I don't have skills or tools for. A prime example is my local dealer wanted $250 to change HyFax which I could not afford. I searched the forums and even found a you tube video showing how I can do it myself without removing track. Bought a $28 slide hammer on e-bay and Sliders for $50 and did it for a thrid of what I would have been charged. If I could have only done it by taking suspension off or track off I would not have even tried. Some of us like me are your white collar by day lightweight gear head on the weekend and truly appreciate what has been shared.

My replacement bearing is on order and I will report back how my in place repair goes.

+Quote Post
ExcursionPSD
post Jan 24 2013, 09:37 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Current Vehicle:
07 FST Cruiser

Be aware that my pal Snobeeler, is correct.

If you run into a bearing that is pressed strongly onto the driveshaft, you will have to work at it to get the race off. Others have used wedge and punch, some have left the flangette bolted to the housing, and pried the housing away from the tunnel. You want to be careful, the housing is not very thick, it would be easy to bend it.

------------------------------

It is shameful that a dealer would charge $250 to change hifax. If you angle the sides at the back end of the hifax, before you install them, it makes it easier to pull/drive them thru the window in the track when removing. I also open up 1 window on each side of the track, by cutting out some rubber, to make the removal and insertion of hifax easier. Always release track tension at the start, you should readjust it when you are done anyway.

This post has been edited by ExcursionPSD: Jan 24 2013, 09:44 PM

--------------------
07 FST IQ Cruiser. 15,710 miles SLP Powder Pros, 10" carbide, Fox Float IFS, MY09 LW spindle, skidplate, Racecraft intercooler & boost box, ELA Gen II exhaust, Precision Sports 2012 reflash & HD eng. mounts, full SLP intake, heat control and venting package, 136 x 1.25 RipSaw full clipped w/144 plastic doubled XL Fast-Trac 1.375 studs, Avid-Products.com external drivers on axle, revalved M10 Fox shocks, 4 inner and 2 outer idlers added, Receiver hitch & projector beam installed. rzimmer underdrive alt. pulley. AMSOIL fluids by MAXoil.com

10 600 CFI LX INTL Red Powder Pro skis, red skidplate, 108 double XL Fast-Trac 1.375, 4 rear idlers, receiver hitch

07 600 CFI Switchback Red Powder Pro skis, projector beam, red skidplate, 116 double XL Fast-Trac 1.375, receiver hitch

+Quote Post
dogcop
post Jan 25 2013, 09:10 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 17,954
Current Vehicle:
2010 TURBO DRAGON

i know this is a loaded question but how many miles (if you keep them greased) can you get out of the bearings?

--------------------
2012 flash, delrin washer,155/222 spring helix and 120/240 primary spring,aluminum boost box,racecraft intercooler

+Quote Post
jimr
post Jan 25 2013, 09:52 AM
Post #15

Average Member

Member No.: 931
Current Vehicle:
2010 Turbo LX

QUOTE(dogcop @ Jan 25 2013, 10:10 AM) *
i know this is a loaded question but how many miles (if you keep them greased) can you get out of the bearings?

Never greased my 2006 and had 9,700 miles when sold plus the bearing was in near perfect condition. Need to check the FAQ section as excessive grease fills the axle speed sensor pick-up spline and causes the sensor to malfunction. I've checked the 2006 several times but always sealed the flange cup to bearing outer race and gasket with RTV. The 2012's and possibly older do not use a bearing with the tiny holes in the outer race. RTV sealing keeps out the grit when the trails are so,so.

--------------------
Riding Type: 70% groomed trails, 30% lakes, Where: Haliburton, Ontario

2010 Turbo LX - PS 2012 flash, reinforced boost box, boost gauge, Bosch 110 BOV, BKR8EIX plugs, silicone reference lines, boost tube wrapped, clutch springs, 11-68 modified, PS helix, belt guard, cyclone reroute, 3" alternator pulley, brake rotor & reverse gear "O" ring silencer, RTV seal front axle to transmission hub, add oil grooves on reverse gears, SLP vents, Mobile 1 ATF, 2 studs per panel

Polaris Stable: '04 600 Classic, '03 600 Classic, '01 600 touring, '00 600 Touring, '97 LX Wide Track, (3) '02 Sportsman 500's

+Quote Post
ExcursionPSD
post Jan 25 2013, 10:48 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Current Vehicle:
07 FST Cruiser

The 3514448 speedo side driveshaft bearing with the lube hole in the outer race, was last used on the MY11 model Turbos.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CliftonParkGMan
post Feb 8 2013, 11:32 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 10,989
Current Vehicle:
06 FST 04 Edge 97 Indy

QUOTE(ExcursionPSD @ Jan 24 2013, 10:37 PM) *
Be aware that my pal Snobeeler, is correct.

If you run into a bearing that is pressed strongly onto the driveshaft, you will have to work at it to get the race off. Others have used wedge and punch, some have left the flangette bolted to the housing, and pried the housing away from the tunnel. You want to be careful, the housing is not very thick, it would be easy to bend it.

------------------------------

It is shameful that a dealer would charge $250 to change hifax. If you angle the sides at the back end of the hifax, before you install them, it makes it easier to pull/drive them thru the window in the track when removing. I also open up 1 window on each side of the track, by cutting out some rubber, to make the removal and insertion of hifax easier. Always release track tension at the start, you should readjust it when you are done anyway.

Thanks for all of the great info. Yes it is shameful. Luckily I was able to accomplish both projects today.

For the bad bearing I actually pre-sprayed from the back side of the drive shaft area with some penetrating oil to help loosen things up. I was mentally ready to have to fully remove the shaft if this didn't work. Luckily I was able to remove the old bearing pretty easily using a hammer and punch. I had read good things about All Balls so I ordered and installed their replacement bearing. Re installation was easy and painless.

Removal of the sliders using the slide hammer was as easy as the video that I saw from BK Boats and Sleds on You Tube. I did angle the hifax sliders and that worked very well also. I stored the sliders inside at room temperature prior to the installation.

+Quote Post
HellRaZoR004
post Nov 4 2013, 11:32 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 26,555
Current Vehicle:
06 FST Classic

I have a 2001 700 XC with a dead speedometer and have a sneaky suspicion this is the cause. I need to confirm by looking at it but want to make sure I order the right stuff if it is.

The thread mentioned a bearing; can someone confirm 3514525 is correct and if there are any aftermarket parts that could be purchased? It also looks like I will need 3280017 (Key, Speedometer, Square). Anything else that I should get?

Thanks in advance!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
Help Search Members Calendar
BottomCorner PageBorder
BlueBar