Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Secondary Springs
ohsnow
post Dec 5 2010, 03:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 521

Stock secondary spring is 140/240 what does changing to 155/222 do?
Mainly what changes from 140 to 155
And what changes with 240 to 222

Trying to understand the changes caused by both number changes..

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sponsor

SKPOPOMANN
post Jan 2 2011, 07:43 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,808
Current Vehicle:
2008 Turbo Switchback

This is only my second post on here. I am a little shy when it comes to posting. I have a basic understanding as to what the different primary springs do, and what different flyweights do. However, the secondary springs, I need some schooling on. I hope that someone can shed some light on what differences to expect from a stock 140-240, vs a 155-222 etc.. More specifically which number changes what. Thanks.

+Quote Post
Bowana
post Jan 2 2011, 08:17 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,101
Current Vehicle:
2010 800 Switchback

QUOTE(SKPOPOMANN @ Jan 2 2011, 07:43 PM) *
This is only my second post on here. I am a little shy when it comes to posting. I have a basic understanding as to what the different primary springs do, and what different flyweights do. However, the secondary springs, I need some schooling on. I hope that someone can shed some light on what differences to expect from a stock 140-240, vs a 155-222 etc.. More specifically which number changes what. Thanks.

I tried the 155-222 spring with stock turbo and gearing and could not pull it and would lose rpm's. If you are upgrading your ecm to a stage 1 or 2 then the extra hp provided will help pull this spring. It will hold rpms initially and then open quicker at the top and load the engine.

There are lots of guys running the set up who can provide more information that I can but I found that even with lighter or heavier weights plus a combination of different drive clutch springs I could not get that spring to work properly in my 2008 Turbo Dragon.

I have about 20 miles on it if you are interested in buying it on a deal and trying it. Send me a PM and as I am in Regina we can work something out.

--------------------
2010 800 Switchback . 11-12 Mileage 0. Dually carbides, Tunnel bag by Polaris. Gears Handlebar ag. .405 torsion springs, Polaris hand guards, tinted windshield. Rear rack. Centre headlight. Skid Plate. Rear rack and extra idler wheels. Factory cover. FOR SALE $7500 CDN 4500 miles

+Quote Post
SKPOPOMANN
post Jan 2 2011, 10:15 PM
Post #4

Current Vehicle:
2008 Turbo Switchback

Thanks Bowana! That helps shed some lite.
Anyone else?

+Quote Post
Snobeeler
post Jan 3 2011, 07:04 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 934
Current Vehicle:
06 Classic, 14 Pro R 800

QUOTE(SKPOPOMANN @ Jan 2 2011, 08:43 PM) *

The first number is the begining spring "Rate" and the second number is the ending spring "Rate". This spring causes the secondary clutch to resist opening (upshift) and encourage closing (downshift). It also is what puts side pressure on the belt to prevent slipping. It works in conjunction with the drive clutch. The spring is only a portion of driven clutch tuning. The other big item is the helix (angle).

--------------------
06 FST Classic............. 8,700 miles, All Updates and Team Tips Completed, Yayou's 2012 ECU Upgrade, Reinforced Boost Box, PS Advanced Rider Adjustable Boost Pressure Controller, Innovative Motorsports Data Logger, Stewert Warner Boost Gauge, 08 Spindles, SLP slt Ski's with Dual Runners, Revalved M-10 shocks, Reinforced Front A-Arm, Rebalanced Drive Clutch, SLP Heat Vents, Gearcase Alignment Done, Violet Wire Fix, Rerouted Cyclone Seperator Vent to Muffler, Jackshaft Notch, 12 Volt D-C Outlet, Gas Tank Float Level Modification, RC7PYCBX Spark Plugs.

2014 800 Switchback Pro R Adventure..........1650 Miles, Rerouted VES Solenoid Outlet (sound familiar), StudBoy Duece Runners, Heavy Rear Track Spring.

+Quote Post
SKPOPOMANN
post Jan 3 2011, 10:34 AM
Post #6

Current Vehicle:
2008 Turbo Switchback

Thanks Snobeeler!
This is exactly the kind of infomation I was hoping for! So if I'm understanding this correctly, a 155-222 spring will upshift abit slower, allowing RPM to build abit more and hold, and backshift abit lighter resulting in a smoother backshift? So, a 160-240 spring will have similar upshift characteristics as the 155-222, but backshift the same as stock?
Thanks again everyone.

+Quote Post
trickyricky
post Jan 3 2011, 03:23 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,191
Current Vehicle:
09 FST SB

Has anyone tried the Polaris 140/260 secondary spring as a means of keeping the rpms from falling off in a longer pull or on warmer days, with stock ECM?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
Help Search Members Calendar
BottomCorner PageBorder
BlueBar