> brake light problem
moresnow06
post Jan 10 2010, 06:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 971
Current Vehicle:
06 FST Classic

My brake light is not working and I'm trying to figure out why. The tail light is working and the bulbs look fine. When I pull the brake lever the brake light on the dash comes on but the brake light on the seat does not. I haven't blow any fuses and I'm not having any other problems. I took off the tank and protected all the wires and hoses when the sled was new. I just took off the seat to check the wires and they were pinched a little but were not worn through. Could that be the problem?

After reading past posts I'm thinking problem could possibly be the brake switch on the handlebar since a lot of people have had that go bad. Is there a way to test the switch? Since the brake light on the dash is working does that mean my switch is working?

Thanks guys for any advice you can give. My dealer is an hour away and I hate to have take it in for what might be a simple fix.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sponsor

drake1271
post Jan 10 2010, 06:22 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,559
Current Vehicle:
polaris tech

QUOTE(moresnow06 @ Jan 10 2010, 07:10 PM) *
My brake light is not working and I'm trying to figure out why. The tail light is working and the bulbs look fine. When I pull the brake lever the brake light on the dash comes on but the brake light on the seat does not. I haven't blow any fuses and I'm not having any other problems. I took off the tank and protected all the wires and hoses when the sled was new. I just took off the seat to check the wires and they were pinched a little but were not worn through. Could that be the problem?

After reading past posts I'm thinking problem could possibly be the brake switch on the handlebar since a lot of people have had that go bad. Is there a way to test the switch? Since the brake light on the dash is working does that mean my switch is working?

Thanks guys for any advice you can give. My dealer is an hour away and I hate to have take it in for what might be a simple fix.

try a bulb. worked for me the other day. yes you can test switch you need a multi meter.. continuity test

+Quote Post
moresnow06
post Jan 10 2010, 08:49 PM
Post #3

Current Vehicle:
06 FST Classic

I don't think it is the bulbs because I can see that the filiments are not broken and I wouldn't expect both bulbs to go out at the same time, but I can give it a shot. Does anyone know if you can get these bulbs from an auto parts store or do you have to get them from a dealer?

+Quote Post
drake1271
post Jan 10 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,559
Current Vehicle:
polaris tech

just looking doesn't aways mean its fine. yes there should be a # on it or wattage

+Quote Post
Bowana
post Jan 10 2010, 09:12 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,101
Current Vehicle:
2010 800 Switchback

QUOTE(drake1271 @ Jan 10 2010, 08:53 PM) *
just looking doesn't aways mean its fine. yes there should be a # on it or wattage

I was just looking in my Service manual and I could not find the listing for the rear tail light bulb. In MY08 DFragon the tail light bulb is an 1157 dual filament bulb. The most common bulb anywhere until they started making them with the new style ends like 2157.

However, I am sure you can get the bulb just about anywhere for less than $2

--------------------
2010 800 Switchback . 11-12 Mileage 0. Dually carbides, Tunnel bag by Polaris. Gears Handlebar ag. .405 torsion springs, Polaris hand guards, tinted windshield. Rear rack. Centre headlight. Skid Plate. Rear rack and extra idler wheels. Factory cover. FOR SALE $7500 CDN 4500 miles

+Quote Post
Zornigvw
post Jan 10 2010, 09:20 PM
Post #6

Average Member

Member No.: 926
Current Vehicle:
06fusion/07 fst

If you had the tank and seat off go back and make sure you pluged the tail light harness back in when you reinstaled the seat.

--------------------
RaceCraft-Fabrication

My Photo Album

2007 fst
camoplast cobra track, 216 trigger studs, 9" avid plastic wheels with avid products offset axel, SLP Powder Pros w/9" carbides, Precision Sports programing and clutching w/ 24/44 gearing,racecraft-fabrication tubular exhaust manifold,precision turbo HP4828, avid products extrovert drivers, slp anti stab kit, hygear suspension revalve and resprung, Fox floats with hygear suspension resivors. Racecraft-fabrication muffler and intercooler. carbon fiber handgards, Twisted Engineering carbon fiber handle bars. Racecraft-Fabrication aluminum boost box, turbosmart eboost2 boost controller, 2step launch control.

+Quote Post
hacksaw
post Jan 11 2010, 07:14 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 4,181
Current Vehicle:
2006 Polaris FST Classic

Take handelbar cover off and locate plug for brake light switch partially unplug plug so you can see the two bare connectors and jump across both connectors with the plug still connected if brake light comes on on the seat it is the switch. Just went through this with my fst and thats how the tech checked mine. Of course they had to order switch so am assuming he is right. I tried checking with switch unplugged with ohm meter but could not test it that way. For some reason it has to be still plugged in to test it.

+Quote Post
moresnow06
post Jan 11 2010, 08:01 PM
Post #8

Current Vehicle:
06 FST Classic

QUOTE(hacksaw @ Jan 11 2010, 08:14 AM) *
Take handelbar cover off and locate plug for brake light switch partially unplug plug so you can see the two bare connectors and jump across both connectors with the plug still connected if brake light comes on on the seat it is the switch. Just went through this with my fst and thats how the tech checked mine. Of course they had to order switch so am assuming he is right. I tried checking with switch unplugged with ohm meter but could not test it that way. For some reason it has to be still plugged in to test it.

Thanks Hacksaw! I'll check this as soon as I have a chance.

+Quote Post
moresnow06
post Jan 11 2010, 08:19 PM
Post #9

Current Vehicle:
06 FST Classic

Just in case someone needs this for future reference, the 2006 FST Classic takes two of the 3157 brake light bulbs.

+Quote Post
Jason.Benjamin
post Jan 12 2010, 01:08 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 4,995
Current Vehicle:
09' Turbo Dragon

An if your going to convert to LED make sure to get the correct part.

As it has a relay that switches for the correct polarity.

Bluhm Enterprises LED Taillight Conversion Kit
Dennis Kirk Part #: 214560

This post has been edited by Jason.Benjamin: Jan 12 2010, 01:08 AM

--------------------
Jason Benjamin
Milwaukee, WI

09' Turbo Dragon

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
Help Search Members Calendar
BottomCorner PageBorder
BlueBar