> Exhaust Glowing
Brocket
post Jan 5 2010, 10:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,480
Current Vehicle:
2010 FST IQ Touring

Can anyone tell me if the turbo is the only thing that should be cherry red when hot or does the pipe up to the muffler get cherry red as well? rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sponsor

Its-your-story
post Jan 5 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,233
Current Vehicle:
08 FST swb.....06 FST Cl

Theres your first mistake,dont look at that stuff under there, it scares us all, we dont talk about that stuff. Lots of things glow under there, stop looking!!! LOL

--------------------
08 FST SWB
20,637 miles yes thousand. 3600 + miles this season.
New Cobra track 1.352
155 Studboy Studs
24-44 gears
Autometer boost gauge
Devils Own water methanol injection system 2gph nozzle
Breather fix
Magnaflow straight pipe wrapped 2 1/2 inch pipe loud.
Polaris 11-74 almond spring primary clutch weights. Primary clutch balanced by Micro- Belmont G. Rapids MI. Original spark plugs.
Stock secondary
New rubber hose referance lines
Extra epoxy on the boost box seam
Yayou trick 3
Chris Burandt tunnel bag
Simmons Gen 3 skis hunt bad like a coon dog. Float good.
Motor & turbo have never been apart.
5000 miles on last belt.

Garmin nuvi 50lm
2006 FST Classic 3217 miles.
100 Studboy studs

Owner of www.Wilburslodge.com........Seney Michigan. Call for bookings.

+Quote Post
darrenbrezinski
post Jan 5 2010, 10:41 PM
Post #3

Average Member

Member No.: 3,159
Current Vehicle:
2008 IQ cruiser fst

Manifold gets red , turbo red, curved pipe red. Very normal. Great for cooking a hot dog, marshallows etc. when you don't have a fire. tongue.gif

--------------------
brez 2008 IQ cruiser FST , projector headlight, ukranian belt venting, 1 3/4" track, wiring protected, hitch, front & rear heated visor cord, limiter strap tightened one hole for better steering, BKR8EIX plugs, Yayou's updated reflash, clear hoses for the boost controller replaced , spring clamps replaced with tie downs on boost reference hoses, eliminated my gas and oily filter problem with rerouting line to exhaust, 23/44 gears, auto meter boost pressure gauge, ELA Engineering exhaust, precision PS2 turbo upgrade, boost box re-enforcement, 3 inch alternator pulley and belt upgrade, datalogger, Pre turbo shot of meth and post turbo as well.

+Quote Post
Bowana
post Jan 5 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,101
Current Vehicle:
2010 800 Switchback

QUOTE(darrenbrezinski @ Jan 5 2010, 10:41 PM) *
Manifold gets red , turbo red, curved pipe red. Very normal. Great for cooking a hot dog, marshallows etc. when you don't have a fire. tongue.gif

Must be snowing in Porcupine as someone is in a good mood. Might want to look up the threads talking about ventilation kits. Aftermarket ones from SLP available at Thomas or Ochs or you can PM Breez and have him show you his. Snowing for 12 hours here in South Sask and supposed to snow all night and then get copld for two days and nice for the week-end. Hopefully the groomers can get out for the 1st time. Have to do soemthing now that there is no more Junior Hockey. Congrats USA, the kids played well but wait until next year.

--------------------
2010 800 Switchback . 11-12 Mileage 0. Dually carbides, Tunnel bag by Polaris. Gears Handlebar ag. .405 torsion springs, Polaris hand guards, tinted windshield. Rear rack. Centre headlight. Skid Plate. Rear rack and extra idler wheels. Factory cover. FOR SALE $7500 CDN 4500 miles

+Quote Post
Jason.Benjamin
post Jan 6 2010, 05:50 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,995
Current Vehicle:
09' Turbo Dragon

Ok, since we are asking what is normal on these sleds.

Is a whinning bearing type sound normal while driving?
Is this the chain drive or track wheel bearings?
Hard to place where it is coming from but I would guess right side directly below.

This sled is a whole new world of different sounds compared to 2 strokes.

--------------------
Jason Benjamin
Milwaukee, WI

09' Turbo Dragon

+Quote Post
cmi.michigan
post Jan 6 2010, 06:14 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,409
Current Vehicle:
06 fst classic

Other brands charge extra for a cigarette lighter.

+Quote Post
Brocket
post Jan 6 2010, 06:48 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,480
Current Vehicle:
2010 FST IQ Touring

I figured it was probably normal. Thnx guys. You guys in south Sask. quit hogging all the snow. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Bowana
post Jan 6 2010, 07:12 AM
Post #8

Current Vehicle:
2010 800 Switchback

QUOTE(Brocket @ Jan 6 2010, 06:48 AM) *
I figured it was probably normal. Thnx guys. You guys in south Sask. quit hogging all the snow. tongue.gif

Jason, I doubt that you have enough miles on your 09 to have wore out the wheel bearings underneath and if you check the chaincase and it has the oil where it is supposed to be on the dipstick, I would suspect you are hearing noise from the Ripsaw track. All I hear at speed is the wind at my head with a med height windshield and the hum from the motor.

I will hear some noise as the day wears on and ice builds under the skid which creates crunching sounds at times and at others it sounds as if everything is coming apart underneath. Once you get it warmed up and the ice removed pay attention for the first few miles out to confirm that the noise is not present when the skid is dry and afterwards when it is caked with ice to see the difference.

--------------------
2010 800 Switchback . 11-12 Mileage 0. Dually carbides, Tunnel bag by Polaris. Gears Handlebar ag. .405 torsion springs, Polaris hand guards, tinted windshield. Rear rack. Centre headlight. Skid Plate. Rear rack and extra idler wheels. Factory cover. FOR SALE $7500 CDN 4500 miles

+Quote Post
sabrecanuck
post Jan 6 2010, 08:33 AM
Post #9

Average Member

Member No.: 3,890
Current Vehicle:
07 FST IQ LX

Track noise...., exhaust heating...., Chain case rattle...... snow???
I know not what you guys speak of!!! laugh.gif

Sounds like there's gonna be an FSTfest in Regina this weekend if you keep talking about 'hours of snow'..

Is there room to park a couple trailers in your yard?

Now, to my question.... Bowana, it sounds like you DON'T have a ripsaw on yours... What do you have for track?

My 07 Fusion had 1 1/4 ripsaw and that thing had traction to lift the skis any speed/day.. This FST seems to be a little squirly in the back end due to spinning although I haven't had the chance to tweak suspension yet...

This post has been edited by sabrecanuck: Jan 6 2010, 08:37 AM

--------------------
SOLD MY07 FST IQLX, 128" M10. SLP Vent Kit front/back both sides. Notched Jackshaft cover. Boost Gauge. NGK Iridium BKR7EIX Spark Plugs. Rerouted Cyclone Hose to Exhaust. Oil Pressure Sensor Mod. 6" Bergstrom Triple Points and spacers. 128" AC Quiet Track. Snobeeler shock specs. Precision Sports stage II, 24/44 gearing and clutching recommendations (7043063/7042083 springs) . BREZ's Ukranian Torque Arm. RZIMMER alternator pulley kit. Racecraft (ZORNIGVW) boost box. 2" risers, handguards, Garmin Montana 600 gps.
All wires tucked, wrapped and strapped. Boost Ref Hose replaced and ran through wire loom wrapped with heat tape. 5800 miles and climbing. Top speed - 108 on recall (maybe more this year?), that's F_ST enough for this old guy.

Darkside - Doo 1200 GSX LE - 120" Track, Garmin 600 Montana GPS, Bergstrom triple point skegs. Still stock. Please don't hold it against me :)

+Quote Post
Bowana
post Jan 6 2010, 02:38 PM
Post #10

Current Vehicle:
2010 800 Switchback

QUOTE(sabrecanuck @ Jan 6 2010, 08:33 AM) *
Track noise...., exhaust heating...., Chain case rattle...... snow???
I know not what you guys speak of!!! laugh.gif

Sounds like there's gonna be an FSTfest in Regina this weekend if you keep talking about 'hours of snow'..

Is there room to park a couple trailers in your yard?

Now, to my question.... Bowana, it sounds like you DON'T have a ripsaw on yours... What do you have for track?

My 07 Fusion had 1 1/4 ripsaw and that thing had traction to lift the skis any speed/day.. This FST seems to be a little squirly in the back end due to spinning although I haven't had the chance to tweak suspension yet...

I have the standard 1 1/4 ripsaw track and it works great. I had plans to long track it this winter but had a few other expensive things come up so it will be next fall's project.
We had around 3 inches on top of what we already had so the conditions will be getting very good except for the old hard drifts underneath. Stubble fields are full as are the ditches anywhere they were exposed to the wind and new snow. Powder around the bluffs and sloughs if you know what I mean, not to take anything away from our southern brothers who may not have a clue as to what I am talking about when I say "slough".

Great snow from Grenfel west both sides of the Trans Canada.

PM if interested as I have a nephew in Winnipeg that rides, although it is yellow and not a Switchback and he may be interested in a trip out west.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sabrecanuck
post Jan 6 2010, 02:44 PM
Post #11

Average Member

Member No.: 3,890
Current Vehicle:
07 FST IQ LX

QUOTE(Bowana @ Jan 6 2010, 02:38 PM) *
I have the standard 1 1/4 ripsaw track and it works great. I had plans to long track it this winter but had a few other expensive things come up so it will be next fall's project.
We had around 3 inches on top of what we already had so the conditions will be getting very good except for the old hard drifts underneath. Stubble fields are full as are the ditches anywhere they were exposed to the wind and new snow. Powder around the bluffs and sloughs if you know what I mean, not to take anything away from our southern brothers who may not have a clue as to what I am talking about when I say "slough".

Great snow from Grenfel west both sides of the Trans Canada.

PM if interested as I have a nephew in Winnipeg that rides, although it is yellow and not a Switchback and he may be interested in a trip out west.

Yep, I know exactly what a slough is.... lol.. I'm heading out to the country this weekend with da boyz, there's rumors of snow further south / West of Winnipeg, although I'm sure every sled in Winnipeg will be heading that direction so we're going to stick close to the ole homestead(s) and probably avoid the high traffic areas..

Not sure if I'm anxious enough for a trailer ride West yet, but will definitely keep the offer in mind for February!.. smile.gifsmile.gif

--------------------
SOLD MY07 FST IQLX, 128" M10. SLP Vent Kit front/back both sides. Notched Jackshaft cover. Boost Gauge. NGK Iridium BKR7EIX Spark Plugs. Rerouted Cyclone Hose to Exhaust. Oil Pressure Sensor Mod. 6" Bergstrom Triple Points and spacers. 128" AC Quiet Track. Snobeeler shock specs. Precision Sports stage II, 24/44 gearing and clutching recommendations (7043063/7042083 springs) . BREZ's Ukranian Torque Arm. RZIMMER alternator pulley kit. Racecraft (ZORNIGVW) boost box. 2" risers, handguards, Garmin Montana 600 gps.
All wires tucked, wrapped and strapped. Boost Ref Hose replaced and ran through wire loom wrapped with heat tape. 5800 miles and climbing. Top speed - 108 on recall (maybe more this year?), that's F_ST enough for this old guy.

Darkside - Doo 1200 GSX LE - 120" Track, Garmin 600 Montana GPS, Bergstrom triple point skegs. Still stock. Please don't hold it against me :)

+Quote Post
mandm
post Jan 6 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 3,402
Current Vehicle:
08 IQ Turbo LX (X2)

Push some of that snow Northeast!! My "glowing" exhaust is melting all the snow when I fly by.... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
FST-4Banger
post Jan 6 2010, 09:15 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 161
Current Vehicle:
2009 Turbo Switchback

Someone ask me that in 2006, also makes a great beacon for others to see when lost, Saskatchewan its about time you got snow, for the last couple of years it was a desert,dry no snow.... just may have to trailer if snow does not improve.

--------------------
MY09 Turbo Switchback, Magellan Crossover GPS, Bergstrom 6"carbide's, Polaris Tall Tinted Windshield, Polaris Windshield Bag, Polaris Skid Plate, Projector Beam, Polaris Tunnel Bag,Polaris Mountain bar strap, 2" riser Block, Polaris HD Trailer Hitch,Back rack for Gas Can+ Polaris Can, SLP Heat Vents Painted Black, SLP Intake Tube Heat Shield, Intake Foam Covered with Outerwears Pre-Filter Material,Enuios Boost Guage,12 Volt Adapter, Custom Outerwears Air Filter Pre-Filter, NGK iridium Spark Plugs.....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
Help Search Members Calendar
BottomCorner PageBorder
BlueBar