Logo1
Logo2
TopCorner PageBorder

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reeds for MY03 800 XC SP, Who makes the best & how often to change?
2003800xcsp
post Oct 20 2009, 07:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,865
Current Vehicle:
2010 FST Touring

Just finished doing a few upgrades and was wondering what is the
service life of stock reeds? Should these be replaced after a certain
number of miles or years?

recently (this summer) upgraded to
SLP single pipe and Y pipe, stock silencer
SLP air horn kit, including 2 flowrites by tach and speedo
SLP recommended clutch springs
MTX weight kit (68 + 3g outer hole)
Re-jet carb to 500 mains, and adjusted clip
SLP power shift helix

thanks for any info on reeds, also any manufacturer better than the others?

2003 800 xc sp 3800 miles

--------------------
Racecraft Boost Box & Intercooler, Bergstrom Triple points, SLP vents front and rear, Precision Sports 2012 Reflash
Primary spring Black/Green 120/340, SLP Intake tube cover, wheelie bars, air conditioning, cup holders,
bucket seats, cig lighter and 8 track
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sponsor

darrenbrezinski
post Oct 21 2009, 03:53 PM
Post #2

Average Member

Member No.: 3,159
Current Vehicle:
2008 IQ cruiser fst

QUOTE(2003800xcsp @ Oct 20 2009, 07:42 PM) *
Just finished doing a few upgrades and was wondering what is the
service life of stock reeds? Should these be replaced after a certain
number of miles or years?

recently (this summer) upgraded to
SLP single pipe and Y pipe, stock silencer
SLP air horn kit, including 2 flowrites by tach and speedo
SLP recommended clutch springs
MTX weight kit (68 + 3g outer hole)
Re-jet carb to 500 mains, and adjusted clip
SLP power shift helix

thanks for any info on reeds, also any manufacturer better than the others?

2003 800 xc sp 3800 miles

Your reeds should be fine. I assume you look at them at the start of every season. Unless you are looking for more hp and you have extra cash you want to spend, v-force reeds I think give you the most gain. But for the price you will have to decide wether or not too.

--------------------
brez 2008 IQ cruiser FST , projector headlight, ukranian belt venting, 1 3/4" track, wiring protected, hitch, front & rear heated visor cord, limiter strap tightened one hole for better steering, BKR8EIX plugs, Yayou's updated reflash, clear hoses for the boost controller replaced , spring clamps replaced with tie downs on boost reference hoses, eliminated my gas and oily filter problem with rerouting line to exhaust, 23/44 gears, auto meter boost pressure gauge, ELA Engineering exhaust, precision PS2 turbo upgrade, boost box re-enforcement, 3 inch alternator pulley and belt upgrade, datalogger, Pre turbo shot of meth and post turbo as well.

+Quote Post
cbutch
post Oct 21 2009, 05:34 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,782
Current Vehicle:
2010 FST IQ LX

I would say v-force but for the gain they might give you its most likely not worth it. I would just save my money for a new crank.

--------------------
2012 Flash,SLP Vents,Header Wrap on all Exhaust and Intake pipes, Stock Weights, Black/Green Prim. Spring,LW420518 Helix,Black/Red Sec. Spring,Oil Breather Hose to Exhaust, 136 Cobra Track, Remote Start,LED Lights at Ign. Switch and Hand Warmer Switch, Glow Shift Boost/Vac. Guage,Aluminum Boost Box,Bergstrom Triple Points w/ski savers

+Quote Post
2003800xcsp
post Oct 28 2009, 06:22 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,865
Current Vehicle:
2010 FST Touring

QUOTE(cbutch @ Oct 21 2009, 06:34 PM) *
I would say v-force but for the gain they might give you its most likely not worth it. I would just save my money for a new crank.

Lol. How often are people blowing the 800 cranks? My sled seems to be running
just fine with 3800 miles. Although it did drop an exhaust valve into the bore.
Dealer replaced both valves, cylinder, both pistons and rings. Magneto did take
a crap, but that too was under warranty.
What if any are the signs that your crank is about to detonate?
Vibration at idle? (had that since new, its an 800)

--------------------
Racecraft Boost Box & Intercooler, Bergstrom Triple points, SLP vents front and rear, Precision Sports 2012 Reflash
Primary spring Black/Green 120/340, SLP Intake tube cover, wheelie bars, air conditioning, cup holders,
bucket seats, cig lighter and 8 track

+Quote Post
cbutch
post Oct 28 2009, 02:07 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,782
Current Vehicle:
2010 FST IQ LX

The only way I guess you could tell from what I understand is to have a crank runoff every year to see if its still in spec. Thats what I would have done at the begining of the season some cranks are good some tend to go in the first 800 miles it all depends.

--------------------
2012 Flash,SLP Vents,Header Wrap on all Exhaust and Intake pipes, Stock Weights, Black/Green Prim. Spring,LW420518 Helix,Black/Red Sec. Spring,Oil Breather Hose to Exhaust, 136 Cobra Track, Remote Start,LED Lights at Ign. Switch and Hand Warmer Switch, Glow Shift Boost/Vac. Guage,Aluminum Boost Box,Bergstrom Triple Points w/ski savers

+Quote Post
gjfenez
post Dec 6 2009, 02:05 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,245
Current Vehicle:
03 ProX 700, 04 ProX2 800

V Force are the best, Boyesen are your cheapest mod with stock cages and improve throttle response. Loctite the screws in. Good insurance.....

This post has been edited by gjfenez: Dec 6 2009, 02:06 AM

+Quote Post
SWITCHMAN
post Dec 7 2009, 06:41 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,395
Current Vehicle:
'06 FST SWITCHBACK

QUOTE(cbutch @ Oct 21 2009, 05:34 PM) *

My vote is for V-Force 3 reeds. They are a bit spendy but the improvement on throttle response is great. It would be a good compliment to your current mods.

--------------------
'13 Switchback Assault 800
'12 Switchback Pro-R 600 (Wife)
Gone:
'06 FST Switchback , 6,000 miles, 172 Extreme Max 1.4" studs, SLP Powder Pros, 9" SLP Carbides and 1/4" Ski Savers, MY09 LW adjustable spindles, Ski Stance @ 43.5". Complete Slp intake and heat control package. 24/44 gears with 80p chain, 120/340 Blk/Grn primary, 140/260 secondary, 11/66 weights, Team 60-40.46 Helix, Delrin washer. Yayou stage 3 reflash and PS2 Wet Turbo upgrade, Racecraft Intercooler. PS HD motor mounts, Turbo Dynamics exhaust, All 4 shocks revalved by Deycore Interprises, NGK BKR9EIX plugs. Stock BOV. Autometer Boost/Vac Gauge. Replaced all ref lines w/ 1/8" fuel lines and clamps. Fuel float mod. Upgraded headlight bulbs and projector beam. Notched jack shaft cover. Rerouted oil vapor line to exhaust. Reinforced boost box. 0.375 torsion springs. Relocated boost control valve. Powdercoated A-arms & Spindles. Custom Graphics by ARTICFX. Receiver hitch bumper, A-arm guards, Tunnel protectors, Spare belt clip up front, Rox 3.5" pivioting riser, Fusion Throttle Cable, Handlebar/map bag, Tunnel pack. Grounded violet sensor wires. Skinz Heat-Loc Handguards, LED tail light. Snoking oil level/pressure kit. Rzimmer Alternator Pulley/Belt kit

Kids sled:
'03 XCSP 600 V-Force III reeds, Slp Air Horn Kit, Slp Powder Snow Prefilters with Flow-rites, Jetted 2 sizes over, 120 Gold Diggers down middle, SLP SLT Skis with 6" Carbides, 3/8" Ski Savers, Backrest with bag, Tank/map bag, Upgraded headlights. Perc Reverse & E-start, 2" pivioting riser.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
Help Search Members Calendar
BottomCorner PageBorder
BlueBar