> Check Engine light on FST
cornholio
post Apr 2 2009, 02:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,196
Current Vehicle:
Polaris Switchback FST

huh.gif I bought a Switchback FST 3 years ago, and the Check engine light has been on about 80% of the time. It mainly stays on, but after a service it can be off for a couple of hours.. My dealer tells me this is normal for the FST, and that Polaris hasn't figured out why it is happening. The software on the sled is updated to the latest version.
Is this correct?? Is Polaris really this stupid? The check engine light is supposed to be a warning not to ride the sled, but if I should follow that, then my sled nearly couldn't be used at all!! blink.gif
Or is my dealer full of shit?
I'm now trying to sell the sled, but it is'nt easy with this error.. The sled has 3000km on the teller, and 3 years, and I have dropped the price to under half of what I payed.. sad.gif

I appriciate to here from other FST owners about the problem..

Regards, Cornholio

This post has been edited by cornholio: Apr 2 2009, 02:09 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sponsor

bluetoy
post Apr 2 2009, 04:59 AM
Post #2

Average Member

Member No.: 924
Current Vehicle:
'10 FST Touring

Your dealer is an idiot.

--------------------
All Groomed trail riding. Hardly any lakes only a few fields. 50/50 for 1up or 2up 2010 FST Touring Blue, 2010 550 Shift.

+Quote Post
cornholio
post Apr 2 2009, 07:40 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,196
Current Vehicle:
Polaris Switchback FST

QUOTE(bluetoy @ Apr 2 2009, 12:59 PM) *
Your dealer is an idiot.

So you haven't had this problem at all??

+Quote Post
dofo1
post Apr 2 2009, 07:48 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 930
Current Vehicle:
2006 FST

Short answer, yes your dealer is full of it.

If you dealer hooks your sled up to his Digital Wrench program (the Dealer does have it, right) it will tell him the reason the CEL is on. Then it is a matter of following the Polaris trobshooting steps to find the problem.

--------------------
2006 FST Classic with 180 degree thermostat, notched drive shaft shield, re-routed/shielded wiring harness, block heater installed on bottom of engine, adjusted gas tank float, oil pressure light, Autometer boost gauge, Camoplast Ice Attack track, Snobeelers shock recalibration, cyclone hose re-routed to exhaust, 24-44 gears, YaYou's Stage 2 re-flash, helix and alternator pulley. And a 2013 Ski Doo 1200 Renegade

+Quote Post
Snobeeler
post Apr 2 2009, 07:52 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 934
Current Vehicle:
06 Classic, 14 Pro R 800

QUOTE(cornholio @ Apr 2 2009, 09:40 AM) *
So you haven't had this problem at all??

Your dealer is wrong. Every time the light is on its for a reason that can be fixed. You need to go to a different dealer and have them check what the code is. Then either he can fix it or we can help you. In the meantime you can check the boost referense hoses for leaks or melting. Do a search as there are a few threads here with all the info you need on this. There is also a section in the FAQ at the top of the forum on that subject. You need to get the code if you do not find the problem.

--------------------
06 FST Classic............. 8,700 miles, All Updates and Team Tips Completed, Yayou's 2012 ECU Upgrade, Reinforced Boost Box, PS Advanced Rider Adjustable Boost Pressure Controller, Innovative Motorsports Data Logger, Stewert Warner Boost Gauge, 08 Spindles, SLP slt Ski's with Dual Runners, Revalved M-10 shocks, Reinforced Front A-Arm, Rebalanced Drive Clutch, SLP Heat Vents, Gearcase Alignment Done, Violet Wire Fix, Rerouted Cyclone Seperator Vent to Muffler, Jackshaft Notch, 12 Volt D-C Outlet, Gas Tank Float Level Modification, RC7PYCBX Spark Plugs.

2014 800 Switchback Pro R Adventure..........1650 Miles, Rerouted VES Solenoid Outlet (sound familiar), StudBoy Duece Runners, Heavy Rear Track Spring.

+Quote Post
smokeless1
post Apr 2 2009, 08:14 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 908
Current Vehicle:
FST S/B

The webber engine had lots of coding that did NOT pertain to it's use as a sled. If you looked at the sled funny, a check engine light went on.

Many of these code issuing conditions were supposed to be addressed in the later additions of the updates. But some have not.

For instance, the reversing switch has automotive slide on connection which works well on automotive use, but for a sled getting bounced around all the time makes for intermittened contact and it will set the code. Mine does that all the time. I have cleaned the terminal and fastened it tight as I can but it can still go off...so I ignore it.

The sled still runs good.

If the sled runs crappy, that is unacceptable and it sounds like you need to find a different dealer.

It has been my experience that some dealers either do not understand 4 stroke technology, nor do they want to learn. And when you find that to be the problem you have no choice but to take it somewhere else where they aren't afraid to figure it out.

These engines are relatively new, and do require a complete rewiring of the DEALER brains. If the brains are not up to it...or the DEALER just doesn't want to learn, as many on this board can attest, it can be very frustrating and can certainly cast a bad light on this sled. It is too bad because once the sled issues are fixed...and there were many, the sled is a lot of fun.

Before you dump the sled, I would get it fixed by a dealer who knows how to fix them...even if you have to drive many hours to get to him. You have to fix the sled before you sell it anyway, and once it is fixed, I would give it another chance. Unless you simply got a lemon, you will feel differently about this machine because it is probably one of the best excellerating sleds on the market and it is quiet...unlike earplugs necessary with a yamaha and rear exiting exhaust, and the gas mileage is decent for a high horsepower engine. The webber engine is basically bullet proof, and as long as you do what you should be doing to keep it running right, it is nice to know that the german built engine will last 5 times longer than the high tech 2 strokes that are bragging about low oil consumption, but which are NOT standing the test of time. Way too many engine failures for a sled that costs 10-15k. Polaris surely could have done a bit more configuring before turning this machine loose on the sledding world, but...they are still using the mentality of General Motors...which is screw the customer...there are always more of them out there. Course that business model has proven to put you right in the dumpster eventually, as GM is finding out right now. Maybe the new head of Polaris sleds will figure this out before Polaris disappears on the bubble. Who knows??

Finally, if you search this site enough you will find a simple process for clearing the codes, or at least most of them.

These are my opinions, formed over 3 years of owning these turbo sleds and following this website closely for fixes, problems and what to look fors.

If it weren't for this site...I would have sold mine a long time ago.

It will be interesting to see how this new "rush" sled works out, and whether the old saying...wait a year or two....will be still the norm.

--------------------
I boondock... 80 broken trail 20% trail!!!
dropped gearing to about 2:1 junked the stock skis for powder pros, junked the stock spindles for holtz no more armstrong steering, kevelar belt, 2 inch lug track, gell cell battery more umph...

+Quote Post
Snobeeler
post Apr 2 2009, 08:47 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 934
Current Vehicle:
06 Classic, 14 Pro R 800

QUOTE(smokeless1 @ Apr 2 2009, 10:14 AM) *
If it weren't for this site...I would have sold mine a long time ago.

Thats a big 10/4 here also.

--------------------
06 FST Classic............. 8,700 miles, All Updates and Team Tips Completed, Yayou's 2012 ECU Upgrade, Reinforced Boost Box, PS Advanced Rider Adjustable Boost Pressure Controller, Innovative Motorsports Data Logger, Stewert Warner Boost Gauge, 08 Spindles, SLP slt Ski's with Dual Runners, Revalved M-10 shocks, Reinforced Front A-Arm, Rebalanced Drive Clutch, SLP Heat Vents, Gearcase Alignment Done, Violet Wire Fix, Rerouted Cyclone Seperator Vent to Muffler, Jackshaft Notch, 12 Volt D-C Outlet, Gas Tank Float Level Modification, RC7PYCBX Spark Plugs.

2014 800 Switchback Pro R Adventure..........1650 Miles, Rerouted VES Solenoid Outlet (sound familiar), StudBoy Duece Runners, Heavy Rear Track Spring.

+Quote Post
shredder55
post Apr 7 2009, 02:19 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,314
Current Vehicle:
2006 FST SWITCHBACK

cornholio

smokless was right about the sled. my cel used to come on all the time . it was the reverse sensor that was triggering it . put the sled in reverse and backup about 20 or 25 ft. and then put it in foward and drive a little bit . if the light goes out it is the fwd. rev. sensor switch. that could need to be adjusted . if not , then you need to find a competent dealer.

good luck
shredder55

--------------------
ignorance should be painfull !! that way they feel the pain they do unto others!!!!

06 fst switchback 08 skies , 08 spindles , polaris hand-guards , 2'' riser ,polaris tank-bag , skinz rear bag ,yayou stage 2 reflash , ela exhaust , turbo-dynamics boost box , racecraft inter-cooler , slp intake tube cover , slp front & rear vents . slp powder intake screens , auto-meter boost guage , 12 V power outlet , lowrance xog GPS , 144 studs down the center , impact global industries C.S.S [safty warning light] , irideum plugs , clutching to yayou specs , 24-44 gearing [yayou specs] ,delrin washer , 8'' carbides

+Quote Post
Blizzard_101
post Mar 8 2010, 11:31 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 6,227
Current Vehicle:
06 FST Switchback

I have an 06 FST and have only had a cel problem once. I was running about 80 MPH when i started losing power. I looked down and noticed the cel on. I stopped immedietely, thinking the worse, but after checking a few things like oil level, heat etc, I determined that nothing major was wrong so i fired it back up and to my joy it ran great and did not happen again. i have only put another 2-300 miles on since then but have had no other issues.

+Quote Post
todd2008
post Mar 8 2010, 01:46 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,872
Current Vehicle:
Snowmobile

I had a CEL on once for like 20 seconds. I think it was because I topped off my 87 octane withe some 91 and it gave the machine a hiccup.

I run straight premium now and haven't had an engine light. I'm at 780 miles now. No problems.

--------------------
2008 IQ Dragon Turbo. 20" IQ Windshield. 12V outlet. Low oil pressure warning system (Cole Hersee No. 8606 oil pressure switch; Cole Hersee No. 4099 buzzer.) Cyclone to Muffler reroute. Violet sensor wire grounded. Mobil Delvac 1 0W-40. 1900 miles (as of March 7, 2011).

+Quote Post
sabrecanuck
post Mar 8 2010, 04:45 PM
Post #11

Average Member

Member No.: 3,890
Current Vehicle:
07 FST IQ LX

QUOTE(Blizzard_101 @ Mar 8 2010, 11:31 AM) *
I have an 06 FST and have only had a cel problem once. I was running about 80 MPH when i started losing power. I looked down and noticed the cel on. I stopped immedietely, thinking the worse, but after checking a few things like oil level, heat etc, I determined that nothing major was wrong so i fired it back up and to my joy it ran great and did not happen again. i have only put another 2-300 miles on since then but have had no other issues.

You did what you were supposed to do and you should DO IT AGAIN next time it happens (and it probably will)...
Better safe than sorry is what I'm sayin'.... What you experienced was a derating of the engine due to the light on, which is normal.

The 2010 reflash is said to clear up those 'ghost' codes...

--------------------
SOLD MY07 FST IQLX, 128" M10. SLP Vent Kit front/back both sides. Notched Jackshaft cover. Boost Gauge. NGK Iridium BKR7EIX Spark Plugs. Rerouted Cyclone Hose to Exhaust. Oil Pressure Sensor Mod. 6" Bergstrom Triple Points and spacers. 128" AC Quiet Track. Snobeeler shock specs. Precision Sports stage II, 24/44 gearing and clutching recommendations (7043063/7042083 springs) . BREZ's Ukranian Torque Arm. RZIMMER alternator pulley kit. Racecraft (ZORNIGVW) boost box. 2" risers, handguards, Garmin Montana 600 gps.
All wires tucked, wrapped and strapped. Boost Ref Hose replaced and ran through wire loom wrapped with heat tape. 5800 miles and climbing. Top speed - 108 on recall (maybe more this year?), that's F_ST enough for this old guy.

Darkside - Doo 1200 GSX LE - 120" Track, Garmin 600 Montana GPS, Bergstrom triple point skegs. Still stock. Please don't hold it against me :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
Help Search Members Calendar
BottomCorner PageBorder
BlueBar