ExcursionPSD
post Feb 19 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 744
Current Vehicle:
07 FST Cruiser

For those of you who are considering or have put external drive or 'Extrovert' style drivers on the track drive axle, let me share something you may already know.

Attached File  ComboDriver.jpg ( 8.52k ) Number of downloads: 54

This is available from Avid-Products.com Polaris drum style axle combo driver

These external sprockets have hubs that are very wide. As a result, when installed, the outside of the hubs are considerably further apart than the stock drive sprocket hubs were. This means that with most tracks, which have about an 8 7/8 center to center on the hifax holes, this prevents the drive axle from being pulled completely from the lower gear hub in the gearcase. The extrovert hubs cannot slide into the hole in the left side of the tunnel, that the hollow driveshaft drum slides into. Since I prefer running the sprockets tight towards the inside of the hifax holes, which gives about an 8 1/2" center to center on the drive sprockets, my sled needed about 1/8" more room to remove the drive axle from the tunnel.

I have gotten enough clearance to remove the drive axle by simply loosening the five gearcase mounting bolts, (leave the nuts on, so you don't lose the carriage bolts) and pulling the gearcase away from the tunnel 1/4" inch. This does not require opening up the cover or removing anything else on the right hand side, except for the muffler.

---------

When this post was made, I contacted Wahl Racing, and they said it would not be worthwhile for them to make drivers to fit the Polaris drum axle. They have changed their mind since then.

This post has been edited by ExcursionPSD: Dec 1 2012, 09:21 PM

--------------------
07 FST IQ Cruiser. 15,710 miles SLP Powder Pros, 10" carbide, Fox Float IFS, MY09 LW spindle, skidplate, Racecraft intercooler & boost box, ELA Gen II exhaust, Precision Sports 2012 reflash & HD eng. mounts, full SLP intake, heat control and venting package, 136 x 1.25 RipSaw full clipped w/144 plastic doubled XL Fast-Trac 1.375 studs, Avid-Products.com external drivers on axle, revalved M10 Fox shocks, 4 inner and 2 outer idlers added, Receiver hitch & projector beam installed. rzimmer underdrive alt. pulley. AMSOIL fluids by MAXoil.com

10 600 CFI LX INTL Red Powder Pro skis, red skidplate, 108 double XL Fast-Trac 1.375, 4 rear idlers, receiver hitch

07 600 CFI Switchback Red Powder Pro skis, projector beam, red skidplate, 116 double XL Fast-Trac 1.375, receiver hitch

previously 06 FST IQ Touring SLP Powder Pros, 136 1.25 IceRipper
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sponsor

Peggan
post Jan 30 2009, 07:51 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,481
Current Vehicle:
FST Switchback -07

Anyone use no-slip drive sprockets on fst? I need them, but I canīt find any for fst dry.gif

--------------------
07 FST Swb. Gripper skis. ELA exhaust. Yayou stage 3 ECU Upgrade, Lancerfst boostbox, Racecraft intercooler, Iridium BKR7EIX Spark Plugs, Rerouted Cyclone Seperator Vent to right fender Camoplast Challenger 151 x 2 Goldfinger lefthand trottle. projector beam, relocated battery, 21/44 gearing, Slp MTX 74g with and 155-222 primary 120-340 sec. springs. Slp vent. kit Avid No-slip drivers

+Quote Post
Lancerfst
post Jan 30 2009, 09:10 AM
Post #3

Turbo Dynamics

Member No.: 2,792
Current Vehicle:
06 FST touring

QUOTE(Peggan @ Jan 30 2009, 08:51 AM) *
Anyone use no-slip drive sprockets on fst? I need them, but I canīt find any for fst dry.gif

I noticed my FST needs to have the track extremely tight to prevent spinning on the sprockets. That alone robs many MPH on the top end.

I'm interested to know where to find some as well.

This post has been edited by Lancerfst: Jan 30 2009, 09:11 AM

--------------------
2006 FST Touring

Mods: Turbo Dynamics built Trail Big turbo Kit, boost controller set at 20 psi,
TD stainless exhaust system, TD Aluminum Boost box.

FST Pump Gas record holder: 224.3HP @ 26 psi
http://www.turbodynamics.ca
http://www.polarisfiles.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4050
http://www.polarisfiles.com/forum/index.ph...=4123&st=20

+Quote Post
ExcursionPSD
post Jan 30 2009, 12:26 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Current Vehicle:
07 FST Cruiser

We are all waliking the line, about how tight to run the track. In the past, I have been in the habit of running the track as loose as possible, without ratcheting.

That may be causing me problems with a sled with as much power and weight as an FST Cruiser. I think that was a big factor in how quickly my stock track driver wheels wore.

This post has been edited by ExcursionPSD: Dec 1 2012, 09:30 PM

--------------------
07 FST IQ Cruiser. 15,710 miles SLP Powder Pros, 10" carbide, Fox Float IFS, MY09 LW spindle, skidplate, Racecraft intercooler & boost box, ELA Gen II exhaust, Precision Sports 2012 reflash & HD eng. mounts, full SLP intake, heat control and venting package, 136 x 1.25 RipSaw full clipped w/144 plastic doubled XL Fast-Trac 1.375 studs, Avid-Products.com external drivers on axle, revalved M10 Fox shocks, 4 inner and 2 outer idlers added, Receiver hitch & projector beam installed. rzimmer underdrive alt. pulley. AMSOIL fluids by MAXoil.com

10 600 CFI LX INTL Red Powder Pro skis, red skidplate, 108 double XL Fast-Trac 1.375, 4 rear idlers, receiver hitch

07 600 CFI Switchback Red Powder Pro skis, projector beam, red skidplate, 116 double XL Fast-Trac 1.375, receiver hitch

+Quote Post
bluetoy
post Jan 30 2009, 07:03 PM
Post #5

Average Member

Member No.: 924
Current Vehicle:
'10 FST Touring

QUOTE(Lancerfst @ Jan 30 2009, 10:10 AM) *
I noticed my FST needs to have the track extremely tight to prevent spinning on the sprockets. That alone robs many MPH on the top end.

I'm interested to know where to find some as well.

I'm surprised to hear that. I run my track very loose. It has over 1" of free hang with the sled up. can easily be pushed down to over 2". I have no toruble with track skipping.

BTW I have the same sled as you.

--------------------
All Groomed trail riding. Hardly any lakes only a few fields. 50/50 for 1up or 2up 2010 FST Touring Blue, 2010 550 Shift.

+Quote Post
Lancerfst
post Jan 30 2009, 10:18 PM
Post #6

Turbo Dynamics

Current Vehicle:
06 FST touring

QUOTE(bluetoy @ Jan 30 2009, 08:03 PM) *
I'm surprised to hear that. I run my track very loose. It has over 1" of free hang with the sled up. can easily be pushed down to over 2". I have no toruble with track skipping.

BTW I have the same sled as you.

I can't have more than 1/2 an inch of free hang and maybe 1" 1/4 when pressing on the track or it ratchets.
Now with my T25 turbo kit running at the stock 17 psi I had to tighten it even more because of the added power.

thanks, ExcursionPSD for the info, I will most likely upgrade to that. I hate that my sled pulls like it could do 110mph + but that I top out just over 100mph.

This post has been edited by Lancerfst: Jan 30 2009, 10:19 PM

--------------------
2006 FST Touring

+Quote Post
Hemidude
post Jan 30 2009, 11:29 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,518
Current Vehicle:
Polaris

Attached File  Extrovert_Drivers_004.jpg ( 1.02mb ) Number of downloads: 35
QUOTE(Peggan @ Jan 30 2009, 08:51 AM) *

Use them all the time: www.trackscanada.net
2.52 pitch, 2.86 pitch and 3.0 pitch

+Quote Post
Peggan
post Jan 31 2009, 01:20 AM
Post #8

Current Vehicle:
FST Switchback -07

Thanks for all info, when I run in deep powder and climb a hill it sometimes ratchets. I have had no-slip on my Vertical Escape and it makes a big differens.

--------------------
07 FST Swb. Gripper skis. ELA exhaust. Yayou stage 3 ECU Upgrade, Lancerfst boostbox, Racecraft intercooler, Iridium BKR7EIX Spark Plugs, Rerouted Cyclone Seperator Vent to right fender Camoplast Challenger 151 x 2 Goldfinger lefthand trottle. projector beam, relocated battery, 21/44 gearing, Slp MTX 74g with and 155-222 primary 120-340 sec. springs. Slp vent. kit Avid No-slip drivers

+Quote Post
Peggan
post Feb 10 2009, 02:46 AM
Post #9

Current Vehicle:
FST Switchback -07

If I put No-slip drivers on my sled, Fst Swb -07, do i need the Slp Anti-Stab Wheel Kit: http://www.startinglineproducts.com/catalo...p;productID=926

Is there any other way to solve the problem caused by the rails touching the drivers when suspension is compressed?

Anyone have no-slip drivers on swb?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ExcursionPSD
post Feb 10 2009, 04:14 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Current Vehicle:
07 FST Cruiser

QUOTE(Peggan @ Feb 10 2009, 02:46 AM) *
If I put No-slip drivers on my sled, Fst Swb -07, do i need the Slp Anti-Stab Wheel Kit: http://www.startinglineproducts.com/catalo...p;productID=926

Is there any other way to solve the problem caused by the rails touching the drivers when suspension is compressed?

Anyone have no-slip drivers on swb?

On a MY06-07 Switchback, with the 144 RMK style suspension, you will need to cutoff approximately 1.5" of rail off the tip, to get clearance from the rails.

The anti-stab wheels keep the shortened rails from getting caught in the hifax windows and damaging the track and/or the rails.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Peggan
post Feb 10 2009, 02:26 PM
Post #11

Current Vehicle:
FST Switchback -07

Ok, not as easy as on my old Vertical Escape then sad.gif Thanks ExcursionPSD for the info! My plan was to get Yayou:s ecu upgrade, but I think that I have to get new drivers and shorten my rails first. My problem is that I canīt find anyone here in Sweden that sell this things. mad.gif Why is it that all fun things cost so much dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ExcursionPSD
post Aug 27 2009, 02:27 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Current Vehicle:
07 FST Cruiser

Let's get some terminology down, so we can have a conversation and know what everybody it talking about.

Internal lugs are the bumps on the inside of a snowmobile track. Most stock snowmobile had driver wheels on the drive axles/driveshafts that have sideways teeth to engage these internal lugs.

These internal lugs, are uniformaly spaced from each other, the same distance apart at the track lugs on the outside. this distance is called PITCH. On short tracks, this pitch is usually 2.52", but may be 2.86". On long tracks, the pitch may be 2.52" but on newer designs it is usually 2.86" or 3".

Most tracks have some holes or windows punched thru the track. These are usually directly under the suspensiion rails and sliders. but these windows may exist between every set of lugs and centered between the rails. These are sometimes called FULLY clipped or FULLY punched. Other tracks, have a window closed or not punched out every 3 lugs. These are called Third window closed. Tracks that are third window closed, can be fully punched and then fully clipped, by some aftermarket shops. A few deep snow tracks have these windows punched every lug, but in the center of the track, exactly in between the left and right slide rails.

When a lot of power is applied to the track, internal drivers can spin and slip over the internal lugs. This is called ratcheting. Running the track tighter will reduce the ratcheting, but will expend power on added friction and increased flexing of the track and the wheels. Track Driver wheels are available that are similar to the internal driver wheels, most all of them have the internal teeth, with the additiion of teeth that come straight out, radially from the axle and these external teeth go thru the track windows and drive on the metal clips.

None of the FST sleds come with external drivers from the factory. The FST's and most of the IQ and Pro-Ride Polaris have drive axles that have a large metal drum with 18 splines on it, in between the two ends of the axle. The plastic track driver wheels are pressed on and off of these splined drums with a large hydraulic press. The factory drivers can be replaced by aftermarket drivers. The drivers basicaly have 3 major specs: what drive axle do they fit, what pitch, how many teeth. Two companies are currently making external driver wheels that fit the Polaris 18 spline drum axle:

Avid-Products.com, their driver is sometimes called the Extrovert. Versions that fit the Polaris 18 spline drum driveshat are available in 2.52", 2.86", 3" pitch with 7, 8, or 9 teeth per driver.

WahlRacing.com, calls their external driver "No-Slip". Versions that fit the Polaris 18 spline drum driveshaft are available in 2.52" 9Tooth (7.05" diameter), 2.86" 8Tooth (7.125" diameter), 3" pitch 8Tooth (7.50" diameter).

-------------------------------------

When installing External style track drive wheels, that drive thru the pair of windows on the track, It is necessary to verify that the external teeth on the driver, which extend about 1" further out than the internal drivers, have enough clearance of the sliderail tips. It is not enough to just measure when the sled is sitting on level ground, without weight on it. You should support the sled bumper, remove the shocks on the rear suspension, and cycle it up towards the driveshaft as far as possible, to check the clearance or interference between the rail tips and the drive wheels. The extrovert teeth will extend a little less than an inch, beyond the stock drive wheels, for the same pitch track.

A few members here have changed to internal/external drivers, using the stock 2.52" pitch tracks, and have determined whether or not the sliderail tips need to be trimmed. Whenever the sliderail tips need to be trimmed, it is recommended to install anti-stab wheels, to prevent the sliderails from goiing into the track windows (spearing the track), and causing a lot of damage.

SlideRail
TRIM? ___ FST Rear Suspension = Model

YES . . . 121" Coupled
.NO . . . 128 M10 = MY06 Classic, MY07-08 LX
.NO . . . 136 M10 = MY06-07 Touring, MY07-08 Cruiser
YES . . . 136" Coupled = MY08-09 Switchback, MY10-12 Turbo LX
??? . . . 136 Comfort = MY11up LXT/MY08-10 Touring
YES . . . 144" Xtra-Lite = MY06/MY07 Switchback

This post has been edited by ExcursionPSD: Dec 2 2012, 12:56 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
SnowChaser
post Sep 1 2009, 09:59 PM
Post #13

Sledder

Member No.: 1,541
Current Vehicle:
2012Polaris600Adventure

Here is another source for No Slip Drive Sprockets (Whal Bros. Brand) for the 128" track ==> Starting-Line-Products-Drivers
31-269 No-Slip Drive Sprocket, 9 tooth, 2.52" Pitch for Polaris Splined Shaft ~$90 USD each

This post has been edited by SnowChaser: Sep 1 2009, 10:05 PM

--------------------
Current sled: 2012 600 Switchback Adventure. Previous sled: 2006 FST Classic. 6200k miles, revalved shocks, PowerMadd articulating riser and throttle extension, stock thermo, gas tank float adjustment, jack shaft guard cut-out, 2008 flash, AC SilentTrack w/ studs, SLP Hot Air Elimin, geared down.

+Quote Post
Bbking
post Jan 26 2010, 07:57 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 4,359
Current Vehicle:
07 FST (modded)

QUOTE(SnowChaser @ Sep 1 2009, 09:59 PM) *
Here is another source for No Slip Drive Sprockets (Whal Bros. Brand) for the 128" track ==> Starting-Line-Products-Drivers
31-269 No-Slip Drive Sprocket, 9 tooth, 2.52" Pitch for Polaris Splined Shaft ~$90 USD each

Hello, i was wondering is the 9 tooth sprocket same osd(out side diameter) as the original ones? meaning: does the sprocket have 9 teeth from factory? silly question i know,,but m far away from home working. so i cant just go outside in the workshop to just look under my FST , and looking to order these while im here, so i can have some fun when getting back home:)

may the snow be whit you all

--------------------
RMK"Wannabe" 07 Switchback: 166"-2.4 Poo track, Gear 22 46 2.09 . MMP 9" 2 wheel kit turnwheels, Goldfinger leftside throttle, Mountainbar, Autometer Boost gauge, Gripper skiis, brand new engine, Snostuff "Liquid " lexan hood, Dahlback Racing ECU and muffler, KN Filter.Huge Intercooler

+Quote Post
Never Satisfied
post Jan 26 2010, 08:14 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 5,434
Current Vehicle:
12 F1100 Turbo Sno Pro

Extroverts actually rob top end speed. There are kits in the market to delete the Extro's from the Ski-Doo XP's for better top end. For deep lug tracks I think they are the right thing to do, for flat land I have never had a track ratched that is adjusted properly even with big HP and alot of studs. Maybe these M-10 based machines are different as I have never had one.

+Quote Post
Zornigvw
post Jan 27 2010, 02:31 PM
Post #16

Average Member

Member No.: 926
Current Vehicle:
06fusion/07 fst

I put them on mine for insurance, i never had a problem with ratchiting but felt I was going to with a longer track and more studs.

You will need a antistab kit if you have the IQ skid and as excursion said you will need to cut the rails.

hth
Jim

--------------------
RaceCraft-Fabrication

My Photo Album

2007 fst
camoplast cobra track, 216 trigger studs, 9" avid plastic wheels with avid products offset axel, SLP Powder Pros w/9" carbides, Precision Sports programing and clutching w/ 24/44 gearing,racecraft-fabrication tubular exhaust manifold,precision turbo HP4828, avid products extrovert drivers, slp anti stab kit, hygear suspension revalve and resprung, Fox floats with hygear suspension resivors. Racecraft-fabrication muffler and intercooler. carbon fiber handgards, Twisted Engineering carbon fiber handle bars. Racecraft-Fabrication aluminum boost box, turbosmart eboost2 boost controller, 2step launch control.

+Quote Post
Lancerfst
post Jan 27 2010, 03:12 PM
Post #17

Turbo Dynamics

Current Vehicle:
06 FST touring

QUOTE(Never Satisfied @ Jan 26 2010, 09:14 AM) *
Extroverts actually rob top end speed. There are kits in the market to delete the Extro's from the Ski-Doo XP's for better top end. For deep lug tracks I think they are the right thing to do, for flat land I have never had a track ratched that is adjusted properly even with big HP and alot of studs. Maybe these M-10 based machines are different as I have never had one.

I was talking to a few guys who have a lot of experience in drag racing and radar events
One has been champion a few times.

He says extroverts don't rob top speed, it's a myth.
However he said the extra weight a fully clipped track needed to run these does rob a few MPH.

makes a whole lot of sense.

--------------------
2006 FST Touring

+Quote Post
indyvette
post Jan 29 2010, 05:03 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 3,187
Current Vehicle:
2008 Polaris Turbo SB

Wahl Bros Racing will be getting a 2.52" Pitch 9 Tooth (02-553) , 2.86" Pitch 8 Tooth (02-551) and a 3.0" Pitch 8 Tooth (02-548) Splined No-Slip Drive Sprockets around the 2nd or 3rd week of February for the big splined IQ drive shafts. Need to run anti-stab kit wheel kit if the tips of the rails are trimmed also.

'08 FST Switchback will need about 3/4" - 1.0" of the rail tips trimmed to run the No-Slips as I have already measured mine and just waiting for the drivers to show up.

This post has been edited by ExcursionPSD: Sep 26 2010, 02:06 AM

--------------------
2008 Polaris Turbo Switchback, LX seat, Polaris Backrest, Polaris 20" Windshield and Windshield Bag, Polaris Projector Beam, Polaris Mountain bar strap, SLP Powder Pro II Skis, Polaris Skid Plate, OAT Probe, Mountain Machine 9" rear wheel kit, Front Torque Arm Mounting Holes Relocated To 09 Specs, Woodys 1.375" studs, Wahl Bros. Racing Wear Resistant Billet idlers, Wahl Bros. Racing 2.52" 9 tooth No-Slip Drivers, Wahl Bros. Racing Anti-Stab Wheel Kit, IQ Deluxe Handlebar Cover Map Bag, 12 VDC outlet, 12 VDC Visor Outlet, Yayou recommended clutch setup, Garmin GPSMap 60CSx, 180^ Thermostat, Relocated Boost Control, SLP Intake Tube Heat Shield, SLP Venting, TurboSX 25 BOV, Autometer Boost Gauge, Polaris Lower A-Arm covers.

+Quote Post
TurboDragon
post Dec 1 2012, 06:02 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 11,853
Current Vehicle:
2010 Dragon Turbo

I want to change my drivers for wone with fingers so i can run track way looser,what woud be the best choice for my 121?
I have been looking around and i dont know what to chose,i know i am 2.52 and i have 9 tooth is it possible to go to 10 and get some top end?
The word hydroformed for a drivers what does it mean?

http://www.wahlracing.com/product.php?prod...p;click=srclick
http://www.slp.cc/catalog.cfm?pageID=detai...p;productID=115
https://www.avid-products.com/store/ProdDet.cfm?ProdID=103
https://www.avid-products.com/store/ProdDet.cfm?ProdID=132

These are the 4 products i found is there anything else i mist?

Tanks in advance
Eric

--------------------
PS Rare Flash
PS-4 Turbo
CGMS W/M
EBoost2
RC IC with pre and post W/M injection
RC Alum.Boost box
24-44 Gearing
Shorai Lithium LFX36L3-BS12
Jones Alum. 3inch Racing pulley
Data logger
Boost tested at 30psi.
After Marquette Exaust
Garmin GPS with audio
HID center light.

+Quote Post
jimr
post Dec 1 2012, 08:04 AM
Post #20

Average Member

Member No.: 931
Current Vehicle:
2010 Turbo LX

The word hydroformed for a drivers what does it mean?

Tanks in advance
Eric

Great question.

All plastic type drivers are injection molded = hot molten plastic that is shot or squeezed into a steel mold, designed in two or more pieces to allow for the formed part to be removed after cooling.

Hydro Forming is a very interesting metal forming process that has gained momentum in the last 10 years. I believe in the case of your question the term applies to the manufacturing of the drive axle that starts with a cut to length round thin wall steel tube. The tube is secured inside a split steel mold that has the congregated shape to hold the plastic drivers in place. The mold is held together with hydraulic clamping and sealed off at the ends except for one end. Then water (hydro) is shot into the open end inside of the tube under unbelievable high pressure that is sufficient to expand the tube into the corrugated shape.

Today many pickup truck hollow frame components are hydro formed in high volume production machines. This process produces nice flowing or smooth shapes, that are lighter and have greater strength compared to welding several pieces together and heavier.

"wonder is the foundation for wisdom"

--------------------
Riding Type: 70% groomed trails, 30% lakes, Where: Haliburton, Ontario

2010 Turbo LX - PS 2012 flash, reinforced boost box, boost gauge, Bosch 110 BOV, BKR8EIX plugs, silicone reference lines, boost tube wrapped, clutch springs, 11-68 modified, PS helix, belt guard, cyclone reroute, 3" alternator pulley, brake rotor & reverse gear "O" ring silencer, RTV seal front axle to transmission hub, add oil grooves on reverse gears, SLP vents, Mobile 1 ATF, 2 studs per panel

Polaris Stable: '04 600 Classic, '03 600 Classic, '01 600 touring, '00 600 Touring, '97 LX Wide Track, (3) '02 Sportsman 500's

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
Help Search Members Calendar
BottomCorner PageBorder
BlueBar