> Alternator Mods, Replacing connectors & diodes
Switchrider
post Nov 30 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 951
Current Vehicle:
2007 Switchback FST

I was looking to make the modifications yayou was talking about a while back with the 3" pulley to slow down the alternator before I started having bearing problems. When I removed the white plug the female connector in the plug broke off. I know this has happend to some of you while running but I have had no issues until I removed the plug. Just wanted to share what I am trying.

The picture attached shows the broken connector, a good connector of the same type, and the one I am replaceing it with. The Brass replacement seems to have more meat between the crimped part of the connector and the tit that holds the connector in the plug. The brass replacement came from a Chevrolet alternator replacement plug. Napa part number VRC-148 and was $3.39.

You just insert a small screwdriver from the plug end, bend the connector tab down, pull it out of the Chevy receptacle, bend the tab back out, and put it in the Polaris receptacle.

This post has been edited by ExcursionPSD: Jan 14 2009, 08:46 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  IMG_0009b.JPG ( 1.09mb ) Number of downloads: 30

--------------------
Riding Habits: 70% Groomed Trails, 29% 2 tracks & Off trail, 1% Lakes

SLP Cooling kits, All updates, Cutom Helix, MY08 Spindles, Skid plate, Projector beam, Autometer boost gauge, Rerouted Cyclone to exhaust, Mountain Bar, 12 volt DC outlet, 24-44 gearing, 11-68 Weights, Hand gauntlets, Low oil pressure light, wrapped tube from Intercooler, wrapped exhaust, NGK BKR8EIX Irridium plugs, Bosch Blow off Valve, A-Arm Protectors, .405 Square Torsion Springs, Tunnel Protectors, 11" Carbon fiber Flyscreen.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sponsor

yayou
post Jan 14 2009, 07:57 PM
Post #2

Average Member

Member No.: 1,023
Current Vehicle:
Snowmobile

I had 2 defective alternators on my bench. Decided to take them to my local alternator repair shop to figure out what was wrong. It turned out the diodes were shot on both alternators.

The technician said diodes were small and perhaps undersized (I have no idea...) ..... so I had him replace them with heavy duty 50 amp diodes..... cost was $70. I'll let you know if that solves the issue with our short lived alternators.

This post has been edited by ExcursionPSD: Jan 14 2009, 08:50 PM

--------------------
Switchback 2007
Visit us at Precision Sports
Contact us

+Quote Post
Snobeeler
post Jan 15 2009, 08:58 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 934
Current Vehicle:
06 Classic, 14 Pro R 800

QUOTE(yayou @ Jan 14 2009, 08:57 PM) *
I had 2 defective alternators on my bench. Decided to take them to my local alternator repair shop to figure out what was wrong. It turned out the diodes were shot on both alternators.

The technician said diodes were small and perhaps undersized (I have no idea...) ..... so I had him replace them with heavy duty 50 amp diodes..... cost was $70. I'll let you know if that solves the issue with our short lived alternators.

What was the sympton? No charging or very low charging (below 13.5v)

--------------------
06 FST Classic............. 8,700 miles, All Updates and Team Tips Completed, Yayou's 2012 ECU Upgrade, Reinforced Boost Box, PS Advanced Rider Adjustable Boost Pressure Controller, Innovative Motorsports Data Logger, Stewert Warner Boost Gauge, 08 Spindles, SLP slt Ski's with Dual Runners, Revalved M-10 shocks, Reinforced Front A-Arm, Rebalanced Drive Clutch, SLP Heat Vents, Gearcase Alignment Done, Violet Wire Fix, Rerouted Cyclone Seperator Vent to Muffler, Jackshaft Notch, 12 Volt D-C Outlet, Gas Tank Float Level Modification, RC7PYCBX Spark Plugs.

2014 800 Switchback Pro R Adventure..........1650 Miles, Rerouted VES Solenoid Outlet (sound familiar), StudBoy Duece Runners, Heavy Rear Track Spring.

+Quote Post
yayou
post Jan 15 2009, 10:45 AM
Post #4

Average Member

Current Vehicle:
Snowmobile

QUOTE(Snobeeler @ Jan 15 2009, 09:58 AM) *
What was the sympton? No charging or very low charging (below 13.5v)

As a matter of fact this is a very relevant question. Before they went to zero charging current, I did notice both alternators first started to generate lower charging output -- in the 13,25vdc range. When new, they tested at around 13,85vdc.

--------------------
Switchback 2007
Contact us

+Quote Post
Snobeeler
post Jan 15 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 934
Current Vehicle:
06 Classic, 14 Pro R 800

QUOTE(yayou @ Jan 15 2009, 11:45 AM) *
As a matter of fact this is a very relevant question. Before they went to zero charging current, I did notice both alternators first started to generate lower charging output -- in the 13,25vdc range. When new, they tested at around 13,85vdc.

I have one that stays over 13.8v and one that is around 13.25v. wink.gif

--------------------
06 FST Classic............. 8,700 miles, All Updates and Team Tips Completed, Yayou's 2012 ECU Upgrade, Reinforced Boost Box, PS Advanced Rider Adjustable Boost Pressure Controller, Innovative Motorsports Data Logger, Stewert Warner Boost Gauge, 08 Spindles, SLP slt Ski's with Dual Runners, Revalved M-10 shocks, Reinforced Front A-Arm, Rebalanced Drive Clutch, SLP Heat Vents, Gearcase Alignment Done, Violet Wire Fix, Rerouted Cyclone Seperator Vent to Muffler, Jackshaft Notch, 12 Volt D-C Outlet, Gas Tank Float Level Modification, RC7PYCBX Spark Plugs.

2014 800 Switchback Pro R Adventure..........1650 Miles, Rerouted VES Solenoid Outlet (sound familiar), StudBoy Duece Runners, Heavy Rear Track Spring.

+Quote Post
ExcursionPSD
post Jan 15 2009, 02:00 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 744
Current Vehicle:
07 FST Cruiser

FYI
Specs on FST alternator:

Bosch External Alternator w/internal regulator-rectifier
55 Amps Maximum Alternator Output Current
780 watts Maximum Electrical Power
14.5 Vdc Regulated Voltage
3 phase output, 6 diode rectifier bridge.

yayou,

That is a good idea, to take a voltage reading, to get a heads up on the alternator dying.

As each diode fails, the voltage will drop some, as half the pulses from that winding, are no longer being output.

This post has been edited by ExcursionPSD: Jan 15 2013, 07:46 PM

--------------------
07 FST IQ Cruiser. 15,710 miles SLP Powder Pros, 10" carbide, Fox Float IFS, MY09 LW spindle, skidplate, Racecraft intercooler & boost box, ELA Gen II exhaust, Precision Sports 2012 reflash & HD eng. mounts, full SLP intake, heat control and venting package, 136 x 1.25 RipSaw full clipped w/144 plastic doubled XL Fast-Trac 1.375 studs, Avid-Products.com external drivers on axle, revalved M10 Fox shocks, 4 inner and 2 outer idlers added, Receiver hitch & projector beam installed. rzimmer underdrive alt. pulley. AMSOIL fluids by MAXoil.com

10 600 CFI LX INTL Red Powder Pro skis, red skidplate, 108 double XL Fast-Trac 1.375, 4 rear idlers, receiver hitch

07 600 CFI Switchback Red Powder Pro skis, projector beam, red skidplate, 116 double XL Fast-Trac 1.375, receiver hitch

previously 06 FST IQ Touring SLP Powder Pros, 136 1.25 IceRipper

+Quote Post
Harrison
post Jan 15 2009, 02:31 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 443
Current Vehicle:
2004 ProXR 800

you guys are right about after the diodes burning out the voltage dropped off but I would imagine if you had better ways to watch the voltage i would guess it over charges before burning those diodes out just a guess that what usually happends to an alternator

+Quote Post
brokenbones
post Jan 15 2009, 05:49 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,071
Current Vehicle:
08 switchback turbo

QUOTE(ExcursionPSD @ Jan 15 2009, 03:00 PM) *
FYI
Specs on FST alternator:

Bosch External Alternator w/internal regulator-rectifier
55 Amps Maximum Alternator Output Current
780 watts Maximum Electrical Power
14.5 Vdc Regulated Voltage

yayou,

That is a good idea, to take a voltage reading, to get a heads up on the alternator dying.

As each diode fails, the voltage will drop some, as half the pulses from that winding, are no longer being output.

How many diodes does this alternator have? its been my experience the voltage drops by half when a diode is lost on a 2 pole generator.

+Quote Post
ockelbo300s
post Feb 9 2009, 03:29 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,708
Current Vehicle:
07 - FST Switchback

mad.gif Now have the alternator problems happen for me two (2007 FST Switchback). My the check engine light came on, the voltage dropped and sled juts died. I had to be towed home by a SkiDoo 1200 (not funny at all). I started the sled with another battery and the engine run just fine but I had check engine and it did not charge. The engine died when battery level was below 12 v. I took the alternator to a local repair shop and they have now told me that the diodes are dead but they cant get a completely new "diod bridge" from Bosch.

Have anyone tried with just replacing the diodes and what kind of diodes should I use. The repair shop was not so interested in to replace the diodes only since there are "waterproof" hausing around the diodes. unsure.gif

Does anyone know the difference between the "old" 0452 966 (Bosch #124 120 009) and the new 0454025 (don't know bosch number) alternator?

+Quote Post
PX3
post Mar 1 2009, 12:05 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,283
Current Vehicle:
2011 AC z1 LXR

I looking for the person who got the diodes changed in his alternator. I did do some searching but have not found the Post. My alternator is not charging at idle again.
Thanks

--------------------
"If you want to run with the big dogs you can't piss like a puppy"
06 FST Classic with Airwave M10
07 Polaris 800x2 with 27" mudbugs and prospector tracks for winter
Custom 16 x 7 v nose trailer setup for camping and quadding
07 Dodge Nitro
08 Dodge Caliber

+Quote Post
yayou
post Mar 1 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #11

Average Member

Current Vehicle:
Snowmobile

It was me. I had my local alternator shop replace all diodes with 150amps heavy duty diodes. There is no direct Bosch replacement. Your alternator technician must be willing to do some custom work for you..... they did for me and asked all soldering be very strong and that all be bedded in silicone prior to assembly. 2,500kms so far and all is well.... time will tell.

--------------------
Switchback 2007
Contact us

+Quote Post
PX3
post Mar 1 2009, 08:48 PM
Post #12

Current Vehicle:
2011 AC z1 LXR

QUOTE(yayou @ Mar 1 2009, 02:24 PM) *
It was me. I had my local alternator shop replace all diodes with 150amps heavy duty diodes. There is no direct Bosch replacement. Your alternator technician must be willing to do some custom work for you..... they did for me and asked all soldering be very strong and that all be bedded in silicone prior to assembly. 2,500kms so far and all is well.... time will tell.

Thanks for the info. If I can't get them to do it here can I ship it to you?

--------------------
07 Dodge Nitro
08 Dodge Caliber

+Quote Post
ExcursionPSD
post Mar 2 2009, 01:39 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Current Vehicle:
07 FST Cruiser

QUOTE(PX3 @ Mar 1 2009, 12:05 PM) *
I looking for the person who got the diodes changed in his alternator. I did do some searching but have not found the Post. My alternator is not charging at idle again.
Thanks

This link has been in the FAQ for some time.

It is in the *ENGINE ALTERNATOR GENERATOR section, and specifically mentions diodes.

--------------------
07 FST IQ Cruiser. 15,710 miles SLP Powder Pros, 10" carbide, Fox Float IFS, MY09 LW spindle, skidplate, Racecraft intercooler & boost box, ELA Gen II exhaust, Precision Sports 2012 reflash & HD eng. mounts, full SLP intake, heat control and venting package, 136 x 1.25 RipSaw full clipped w/144 plastic doubled XL Fast-Trac 1.375 studs, Avid-Products.com external drivers on axle, revalved M10 Fox shocks, 4 inner and 2 outer idlers added, Receiver hitch & projector beam installed. rzimmer underdrive alt. pulley. AMSOIL fluids by MAXoil.com

10 600 CFI LX INTL Red Powder Pro skis, red skidplate, 108 double XL Fast-Trac 1.375, 4 rear idlers, receiver hitch

07 600 CFI Switchback Red Powder Pro skis, projector beam, red skidplate, 116 double XL Fast-Trac 1.375, receiver hitch

+Quote Post
yayou
post Mar 3 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #14

Average Member

Current Vehicle:
Snowmobile

QUOTE(PX3 @ Mar 1 2009, 09:48 PM) *
Thanks for the info. If I can't get them to do it here can I ship it to you?

Of course... I'll be happy to help if you need assistance.... don't want any $ for this.... the alternator shop is minutes away from where I work....

--------------------
Switchback 2007
Contact us

+Quote Post
PX3
post Mar 4 2009, 04:06 PM
Post #15

Current Vehicle:
2011 AC z1 LXR

Hey yayou thanks a bunch. I ran across this web site in my travels and they carry parts to rebuild the alternator on the FST.

They have diode packs and pulleys and stuff. Still may send it to you to have better diodes put in. I'll see what they say here first.

Here's the link into the diode pack:

http://store.alternatorparts.com/search.as...d=0-124-120-006

This post has been edited by ExcursionPSD: Aug 31 2009, 02:38 AM

--------------------
07 Dodge Nitro
08 Dodge Caliber

+Quote Post
ExcursionPSD
post Aug 31 2009, 12:35 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Current Vehicle:
07 FST Cruiser

FST-Switchback had a good post explaining the electrical description of the Bosch alternator on the FST:

QUOTE(Fst-switchback @ Feb 27 2007, 11:42 AM) *
This alternator is exactly like your car or truck.

It is a 3 phase AC generator with a 6 diode bridge on the output to convert the AC power to a pulsating DC.

Voltage regulation is done via excitation control to the rotor.

It is not done by sinking the output of the stator like the permanent magnet stator system on the two strokes.

Lots of cars and trucks have the voltage regulator built into the ecm instead of putting it in the alternator..

---------------

Our sleds have the voltage regulation function built into the alternator itself.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
Help Search Members Calendar
BottomCorner PageBorder
BlueBar