> ECU reprogramming?, DIY?
eastreich
post Mar 4 2008, 08:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 932
Current Vehicle:
'06 FST Switchback

I was surfing (waiting for pics of the new sleds) tonight, and came across this thread on a way out there forum for the sled crowd:

Aprillia/Walbro ECU tuning

Anyway, in reading through the thread I noticed a response from someone who works at Weber, and claims that the ECU for the Aprillia 550 engine is identical to the one used for the MPE750 and that it is easily reprogrammed.

Now I am not any kind of computer genius, but does the FST (which has this engine) use the Walbro ECU, or does it use a different one? I can only imagine what someone who knew what they were doing with a Tuneboy programmer (see the discussion later in the thred) could do with a FST motor. I would be very interested in using this tool, but with my lack of knowledge in the ECU tuning area I don't think it would be too good for my pocketbook to play with it. But if anyone out there knows if this is really a possibility, let me know.

--------------------
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.

'06 FST Switchback; 159x2.25" ported Challenger; 21:46 gears; MSX 150 wastegate controller, SLP products: lightweight can, belly pan vents; Fabricated air intake vents; Spts 800 ATV prefilter; Radiator removed; Auto-Meter Z-series Boost/Vacuum gauge; 6" bar riser; underseat battery relocation; Goldfinger left hand throttle; Holz spindles; Gripper skis; 225# spring on front arm; all updates done.

Riding habits: 90% off trail, deep powder. Only trails are to get to where I can leave them, and these trails usually aren't groomed.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sponsor

arr06w
post Mar 4 2008, 08:40 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,958
Current Vehicle:
2006 Switchback FST

if you want to mess with your fuel maps, etc. AEM(Aftermarket Engine Management) makes a computer that you can wire in. Its definately expensive, and it is very easy to get on the power kick and lean out the motor and blow it up. I dont know about programing the Poo ECU, but i think with the right software, its definately possible.

--------------------
"Umm, yeah, that wasnt supposed to happen like that."

My insurance company hates me.

2006 Switchback FST- 5800 miles.
-1.75 backcountry, gearing, and lots of belts later...this sled is fun.

+Quote Post
eastreich
post Mar 4 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #3

Current Vehicle:
'06 FST Switchback

QUOTE(arr06w @ Mar 4 2008, 07:40 PM) *
if you want to mess with your fuel maps, etc. AEM(Aftermarket Engine Management) makes a computer that you can wire in. Its definately expensive, and it is very easy to get on the power kick and lean out the motor and blow it up. I dont know about programing the Poo ECU, but i think with the right software, its definately possible.

I noticed that use of the AEM in the writeup for the CSC challenge FST done by Michgan Tech. On a tangent, I really liked the reverse head layout with the turbo placed in the center of the sled as opposed to up front like it is now. AND the ingenious way the tunnel was vented to cool the turbo. Pretty slick. From a performance standpoint, the intake system was placed in a colder area of the sled. I am thinking about doing this to my own sled.

The AEM is very pricey (I have looked at it for future use on my 74 Bronco with a 5.0 EFI conversion). The Tuneboy programmer is under $500 US, so it is much more economical. Especially when I am buying a new racebike this summer; my sled funds are going to be limited!

--------------------

'06 FST Switchback; 159x2.25" ported Challenger; 21:46 gears; MSX 150 wastegate controller, SLP products: lightweight can, belly pan vents; Fabricated air intake vents; Spts 800 ATV prefilter; Radiator removed; Auto-Meter Z-series Boost/Vacuum gauge; 6" bar riser; underseat battery relocation; Goldfinger left hand throttle; Holz spindles; Gripper skis; 225# spring on front arm; all updates done.

Riding habits: 90% off trail, deep powder. Only trails are to get to where I can leave them, and these trails usually aren't groomed.

+Quote Post
Zornigvw
post Mar 4 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #4

Average Member

Member No.: 926
Current Vehicle:
06fusion/07 fst

QUOTE(eastreich @ Mar 4 2008, 10:19 PM) *
I noticed that use of the AEM in the writeup for the CSC challenge FST done by Michgan Tech. On a tangent, I really liked the reverse head layout with the turbo placed in the center of the sled as opposed to up front like it is now. AND the ingenious way the tunnel was vented to cool the turbo. Pretty slick. From a performance standpoint, the intake system was placed in a colder area of the sled. I am thinking about doing this to my own sled.

The AEM is very pricey (I have looked at it for future use on my 74 Bronco with a 5.0 EFI conversion). The Tuneboy programmer is under $500 US, so it is much more economical. Especially when I am buying a new racebike this summer; my sled funds are going to be limited!

I am currently working on having reprogaming done. Spare ECU is at a shop being decoded. Im unsure exactly what im going to have done at this time

--------------------
RaceCraft-Fabrication

My Photo Album

2007 fst
camoplast cobra track, 216 trigger studs, 9" avid plastic wheels with avid products offset axel, SLP Powder Pros w/9" carbides, Precision Sports programing and clutching w/ 24/44 gearing,racecraft-fabrication tubular exhaust manifold,precision turbo HP4828, avid products extrovert drivers, slp anti stab kit, hygear suspension revalve and resprung, Fox floats with hygear suspension resivors. Racecraft-fabrication muffler and intercooler. carbon fiber handgards, Twisted Engineering carbon fiber handle bars. Racecraft-Fabrication aluminum boost box, turbosmart eboost2 boost controller, 2step launch control.

+Quote Post
arr06w
post Mar 4 2008, 09:48 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,958
Current Vehicle:
2006 Switchback FST

QUOTE(eastreich @ Mar 4 2008, 10:19 PM) *
I noticed that use of the AEM in the writeup for the CSC challenge FST done by Michgan Tech.

thats where i learned about the AEM, i am on the CSC team at MTU. I have just wired part of it, but i am hoping to get involved with the programing and setup aspect after the comp next week when i will have time to play with the software.

--------------------
"Umm, yeah, that wasnt supposed to happen like that."

My insurance company hates me.

2006 Switchback FST- 5800 miles.
-1.75 backcountry, gearing, and lots of belts later...this sled is fun.

+Quote Post
snoman159
post Mar 4 2008, 11:12 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,693
Current Vehicle:
08 IQr RMK 800 CFI 155

The Weber motor uses a Bosch ECU which requires the use of their software packages which run about $5000 for a 1 year license (I believe). You must also use their ETAS hardware for connectivity. The mapping for this motor is very complex and will require a very experienced tuner.

+Quote Post
eastreich
post Mar 5 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #7

Current Vehicle:
'06 FST Switchback

The Walbro ECU is the one that is used by Hydrospace for the S4 jet ski application of the Weber turbo motor. In looking over the literature for the Walbro ECU, it is sold as an aftermarket unit, and it looks like they may have a unit to specifically with the FST. In going through the Walbro website, they show that there is an application for a Polaris Snowmobile, but then the site runs into an error. Irregardless, this ECU will be readily adaptable to the FST using all existing sensors. This may be the way to go for those that want to run this motor well beyond the capabilities that Polaris had in mind.

Walbro ECU A, C, and D spec sheet

The ECU C specs read like it was custom made for a turbo charged twin cylinder closed loop EFI motor.

--------------------

+Quote Post
1RMDave
post Mar 14 2008, 12:52 PM
Post #8

Average Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2,471
Current Vehicle:
07 RMK

any updates on this?

--------------------
2007 RMK Dragon 700
Slydog Powder Hounds w/ 8" bergstrom triple points
2012 Timbersled Skid 155" w/ Exit shocks
Holz Spindles
SLP Can
V-Force3 Reeds

+Quote Post
eastreich
post Mar 14 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #9

Current Vehicle:
'06 FST Switchback

Depending on the overall construction budget allotted for the FST this summer, I may get more involved in this.

For the time being all of my additional resources and time are being sucked up by having to replace the frame on my race bike, so I have temporarily shelved this until I can look into it in much more detail and make a solid decision either way. With the little I have delved into it, there are many options to look at and study before I can make a decision as to what route I will pursue.

If I replace my turbo with something else, I will definitely be changing ECUs, so I will keep everyone posted if I can do that this summer. I am focusing on massive weight loss on the FST for the 2009 sled season, but we will see what I can get around to on the ECU front!

Now if I could just talk my dealer into getting their own sled dyno so that we could tune in the shop, I could really get somewhere...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
Help Search Members Calendar
BottomCorner PageBorder
BlueBar