> High Idle?, 98 XCR 600
polarisvt
post Dec 4 2007, 01:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,682
Current Vehicle:
1998 XCR 600

I have a 98 XCR 600 with triple Mikuni 38's. I just got the sled from a friend who hadn't run it in 5 years. I got it running and rode it the other day, but it's idling right around 4000 rpm's. I have the service manual for it, and I can't find a reference to idle adjustment anywhere. If anyone can help me out with some troubleshooting or some real simple advice I would appreciate it. Thanks alot
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sponsor

Mchlan92
post Dec 4 2007, 03:46 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,775
Current Vehicle:
1997 Polaris Xcrsp 600

on my 97 after about 45 seconds it goes down to about 1500 rpm, but if you only wait alittle bit it idles at like 4000

+Quote Post
GRIZZ88
post Dec 4 2007, 04:46 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 943
Current Vehicle:
06FST/2000Touring

The Idle screw is a the bigger brass screw on the right side of the carb. Make sure that they are all set the same and that the slide actually sits on the screw. All three slides should rise at exactly the time when you press the throttle. Sled could have a air leak making for as lean condition causing the high idle. I would get it to some one who knows before you blow up the engine. Setting up a triple can be tricky esp if your new to snowmobile engines.

--------------------
AWSC Director
High Mileage Groom Trail Rider
2006 FST Classic
2000 600 Touring

+Quote Post
ExcursionPSD
post Dec 4 2007, 11:58 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 744
Current Vehicle:
07 FST Cruiser

QUOTE(polarisvt @ Dec 4 2007, 01:51 PM) *
I have a 98 XCR 600 with triple Mikuni 38's. I just got the sled from a friend who hadn't run it in 5 years. I got it running and rode it the other day, but it's idling right around 4000 rpm's. I have the service manual for it, and I can't find a reference to idle adjustment anywhere. If anyone can help me out with some troubleshooting or some real simple advice I would appreciate it. Thanks alot

You need to have those carbs completely disassembled and very thoroughly cleaned. Then, someone who knows how to do it, and/or has a service manual, should do a mechanical idle stop synchronization and throttle synchronization. (not done by vacuum, but by using drill bit shank ends to set all the carb slides to the same height at idle stop and hanging from the throttle cable)

--------------------
07 FST IQ Cruiser. 15,710 miles SLP Powder Pros, 10" carbide, Fox Float IFS, MY09 LW spindle, skidplate, Racecraft intercooler & boost box, ELA Gen II exhaust, Precision Sports 2012 reflash & HD eng. mounts, full SLP intake, heat control and venting package, 136 x 1.25 RipSaw full clipped w/144 plastic doubled XL Fast-Trac 1.375 studs, Avid-Products.com external drivers on axle, revalved M10 Fox shocks, 4 inner and 2 outer idlers added, Receiver hitch & projector beam installed. rzimmer underdrive alt. pulley. AMSOIL fluids by MAXoil.com

10 600 CFI LX INTL Red Powder Pro skis, red skidplate, 108 double XL Fast-Trac 1.375, 4 rear idlers, receiver hitch

07 600 CFI Switchback Red Powder Pro skis, projector beam, red skidplate, 116 double XL Fast-Trac 1.375, receiver hitch

previously 06 FST IQ Touring SLP Powder Pros, 136 1.25 IceRipper

+Quote Post
snoman159
post Dec 5 2007, 12:03 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,693
Current Vehicle:
08 IQr RMK 800 CFI 155

QUOTE(ExcursionPSD @ Dec 4 2007, 11:58 PM) *
You need to have those carbs completely disassembled and very thoroughly cleaned. Then, someone who knows how to do it, and/or has a service manual, should do a mechanical idle stop synchronization and throttle synchronization. (not done by vacuum, but by using drill bit shank ends to set all the carb slides to the same height at idle stop and hanging from the throttle cable)

What are the advantages to doing a mechanical sync? Obviously you'll have the carbs synced with no slack in the throttle cable but are there other benefits? I vacuum sync my carbs but I also check to make sure that they are opening at the exact same time and have the minimum 3 thousandths of play in my cable for the stuck throttle safety. Inquiring minds...

+Quote Post
ExcursionPSD
post Dec 5 2007, 05:53 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 744
Current Vehicle:
07 FST Cruiser

QUOTE(snoman159 @ Dec 5 2007, 12:03 AM) *
What are the advantages to doing a mechanical sync? Obviously you'll have the carbs synced with no slack in the throttle cable but are there other benefits? I vacuum sync my carbs but I also check to make sure that they are opening at the exact same time and have the minimum 3 thousandths of play in my cable for the stuck throttle safety. Inquiring minds...

vacuum sync is performed at idle.

Due to the triple pipes, the fuel flows thru the carbs and motor so much differently at idle than at full throttle, you could be way off with a vacuum sync. The mechanical sync of throttle valves and idle stops, assure consistent full throttle performance and as good an idle as you can expect from a triple piped triple.

--------------------
07 FST IQ Cruiser. 15,710 miles SLP Powder Pros, 10" carbide, Fox Float IFS, MY09 LW spindle, skidplate, Racecraft intercooler & boost box, ELA Gen II exhaust, Precision Sports 2012 reflash & HD eng. mounts, full SLP intake, heat control and venting package, 136 x 1.25 RipSaw full clipped w/144 plastic doubled XL Fast-Trac 1.375 studs, Avid-Products.com external drivers on axle, revalved M10 Fox shocks, 4 inner and 2 outer idlers added, Receiver hitch & projector beam installed. rzimmer underdrive alt. pulley. AMSOIL fluids by MAXoil.com

10 600 CFI LX INTL Red Powder Pro skis, red skidplate, 108 double XL Fast-Trac 1.375, 4 rear idlers, receiver hitch

07 600 CFI Switchback Red Powder Pro skis, projector beam, red skidplate, 116 double XL Fast-Trac 1.375, receiver hitch

previously 06 FST IQ Touring SLP Powder Pros, 136 1.25 IceRipper

+Quote Post
Cottonmouth73
post Dec 6 2007, 07:32 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,684
Current Vehicle:
amf

QUOTE(ExcursionPSD @ Dec 4 2007, 11:58 PM) *

well thats the best solution.... does the idol slow to normal if you put the choke on for a second? seems to me ( and others) it's lean.... check the poliot and fuel screws... my .02

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
Help Search Members Calendar
BottomCorner PageBorder
BlueBar