> Chaincase Drain Plug, Can't get it out! UGH
07_switchback
post Feb 10 2009, 02:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,670
Current Vehicle:
09 Polaris FST Switchback

So yesterday my friend and I were working on my 07 Switchback...Installed the SLP vents and that went well.

On to the next project...changing the chaincase oil. Well, got under the sled and tried to remove it. The plug just spins. Damn threading on the chaincase hole is stripped probably. Whoever last worked on the sled tightened it too tight most likely.

Has anyone else had this happen? Can anyone recommend a way to remove it, without doing damage? Will I have to replace the chaincase? I'm frustrated and just want to punch the sled!

--------------------
09 FST Switchback 136"

Precision Sports Stage 2 Reflash
Precision Sports Clutching
Boost Guage On Console
Racecraft Fabrication Aluminum Boost Box
Rerouted Cyclone Vent to Muffler
Muffler Mod
K&N Air Filter
Wrapped Intake Tube
Silicon Reference Lines
Black Powdercoated Spindles
Short Smoked/Tinted Windshield
Long Brake Lever
Mountain Fit Hoods Vents/Hot Air Elimination
Polaris Tunnel Bag
Polaris Windshield Bag
Stock Track w/ 168 Studs
Heated Shield Wire
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sponsor

pathfinder
post Feb 10 2009, 03:03 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,698
Current Vehicle:
2009 Turbo Switchback(s)

See this thread http://www.polarisfiles.com/forum/index.ph...p;hl=drain+plug

ExcursionPSD post:

Let me give you some answers from other wise men, on this forum:

yayou:

If you ever damage the chaincase drain threads.... gently tap new threads with a 1/4" NPT -- no need to drill larger. (1/4" National Pipe Thread tapered, used by pumbers) You may need a 7/16"/0.4375" drill to prepare the hole for the 1/4NPT thread tap.

Once you have clean 1/4NPT threads, just install a 1/4NPT brass plug..... works like a charm, can be done in place without removing anything..... been there, done that.

snobeeler:

Used an automobile drain plug with an o-ring. The dealer stripped mine, I fixed it and a year later the whole chaincase was replaced under warranty from other problems.

going in the FAQ, under the *GEARCASE ASSEMBLY section

--------------------
MINE…2009 Turbo Switchback, SLP MoHawk Skis w/trail carbide & keel, Polaris Tinted Windshield, Polaris Windshield Bag, Polaris Skid Plate, PIAA Xtreme White Plus Bulbs, Projector Beam w/PIAA Xtreme White Plus Bulb, Bluhm LED Taillight Insert, 144 Fast-Trac Top Gun II Stainless Studs, HiperFax, Skinz Tunnel Pak w/custom aluminum heat isolator plate, Stalker Mirrors, SLP Intake Tube Heat Shield, Intake Foam Covered with Outerwears Pre-Filter Material, Custom Clutch Cold Air Intake, Napa OP6619 Oil Pressure Sender, NGK BKR8EIX Plugs, Custom Outerwears Air Filter Pre-Filter, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Garmin Nüvi 50 GPS w/RAM Aqua Box.

HERS…2009 Turbo Switchback, SLP MoHawk Skis w/trail carbide & keel, Polaris Tinted Windshield, Polaris Windshield Bag, Polaris Skid Plate, PIAA Xtreme White Plus Bulbs, Projector Beam w/PIAA Xtreme White Plus Bulb, Bluhm LED Taillight Insert, 144 Fast-Trac Top Gun II Stainless Studs, HiperFax, Skinz Tunnel Pak w/custom aluminum heat isolator plate, Stalker Mirrors, SLP Intake Tube Heat Shield, Intake Foam Covered with Outerwears Pre-Filter Material, Custom Clutch Cold Air Intake, Napa OP6619 Oil Pressure Sender, NGK BKR8EIX Plugs, Custom Outerwears Air Filter Pre-Filter, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

+Quote Post
07_switchback
post Feb 10 2009, 03:27 PM
Post #3

Current Vehicle:

Thanks for the info.

My only issue now is trying to remove the plug. Any ideas?

--------------------
09 FST Switchback 136"

Boost Guage On Console
Muffler Mod
K&N Air Filter
Wrapped Intake Tube
Silicon Reference Lines
Long Brake Lever
Polaris Tunnel Bag
Polaris Windshield Bag
Stock Track w/ 168 Studs
Heated Shield Wire

+Quote Post
pathfinder
post Feb 10 2009, 03:56 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,698
Current Vehicle:
2009 Turbo Switchback(s)

Did you take the case cover off?

If it's stripped out you should be able to to push it out and then fix up the threads.

--------------------
MINE…2009 Turbo Switchback, SLP MoHawk Skis w/trail carbide & keel, Polaris Tinted Windshield, Polaris Windshield Bag, Polaris Skid Plate, PIAA Xtreme White Plus Bulbs, Projector Beam w/PIAA Xtreme White Plus Bulb, Bluhm LED Taillight Insert, 144 Fast-Trac Top Gun II Stainless Studs, HiperFax, Skinz Tunnel Pak w/custom aluminum heat isolator plate, Stalker Mirrors, SLP Intake Tube Heat Shield, Intake Foam Covered with Outerwears Pre-Filter Material, Custom Clutch Cold Air Intake, Napa OP6619 Oil Pressure Sender, NGK BKR8EIX Plugs, Custom Outerwears Air Filter Pre-Filter, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Garmin Nüvi 50 GPS w/RAM Aqua Box.

HERS…2009 Turbo Switchback, SLP MoHawk Skis w/trail carbide & keel, Polaris Tinted Windshield, Polaris Windshield Bag, Polaris Skid Plate, PIAA Xtreme White Plus Bulbs, Projector Beam w/PIAA Xtreme White Plus Bulb, Bluhm LED Taillight Insert, 144 Fast-Trac Top Gun II Stainless Studs, HiperFax, Skinz Tunnel Pak w/custom aluminum heat isolator plate, Stalker Mirrors, SLP Intake Tube Heat Shield, Intake Foam Covered with Outerwears Pre-Filter Material, Custom Clutch Cold Air Intake, Napa OP6619 Oil Pressure Sender, NGK BKR8EIX Plugs, Custom Outerwears Air Filter Pre-Filter, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

+Quote Post
Snobeeler
post Feb 10 2009, 04:06 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 934
Current Vehicle:
06 Classic, 14 Pro R 800

QUOTE(07_switchback @ Feb 10 2009, 04:27 PM) *
Thanks for the info.

My only issue now is trying to remove the plug. Any ideas?

Is the case stripped or the allen wrench hole in the plug? If its the case, use a screwdriver to pry down slightly on the edge of the plug while slowely turning the plug counterclockwise. It should come out easy that way.

--------------------
06 FST Classic............. 8,700 miles, All Updates and Team Tips Completed, Yayou's 2012 ECU Upgrade, Reinforced Boost Box, PS Advanced Rider Adjustable Boost Pressure Controller, Innovative Motorsports Data Logger, Stewert Warner Boost Gauge, 08 Spindles, SLP slt Ski's with Dual Runners, Revalved M-10 shocks, Reinforced Front A-Arm, Rebalanced Drive Clutch, SLP Heat Vents, Gearcase Alignment Done, Violet Wire Fix, Rerouted Cyclone Seperator Vent to Muffler, Jackshaft Notch, 12 Volt D-C Outlet, Gas Tank Float Level Modification, RC7PYCBX Spark Plugs.

2014 800 Switchback Pro R Adventure..........1650 Miles, Rerouted VES Solenoid Outlet (sound familiar), StudBoy Duece Runners, Heavy Rear Track Spring.

+Quote Post
07_switchback
post Feb 10 2009, 06:47 PM
Post #6

Current Vehicle:

Case is stripped. Going to try and use a screwdriver to get under the head and apply downward pressure on it, while turning with allen wrench. Hopefully it works.

As far as getting it all plugged up again...Should I tap it and insert a larger thread plug? Will this hold and not leak oil? Thinking of going that route and putting some Teflon tape around the plug to give it a decent seal.

I must say, it appears these things strip wayyyy too easy.

--------------------
09 FST Switchback 136"

Boost Guage On Console
Muffler Mod
K&N Air Filter
Wrapped Intake Tube
Silicon Reference Lines
Long Brake Lever
Polaris Tunnel Bag
Polaris Windshield Bag
Stock Track w/ 168 Studs
Heated Shield Wire

+Quote Post
darrenbrezinski
post Feb 10 2009, 09:27 PM
Post #7

Average Member

Member No.: 3,159
Current Vehicle:
2008 IQ cruiser fst

QUOTE(07_switchback @ Feb 10 2009, 06:47 PM) *
Case is stripped. Going to try and use a screwdriver to get under the head and apply downward pressure on it, while turning with allen wrench. Hopefully it works.

As far as getting it all plugged up again...Should I tap it and insert a larger thread plug? Will this hold and not leak oil? Thinking of going that route and putting some Teflon tape around the plug to give it a decent seal.

The answer for size of tap etc. was on the second posting by pathfinder. Read where it says what yayou has done. This should be all you need to know.

--------------------
brez 2008 IQ cruiser FST , projector headlight, ukranian belt venting, 1 3/4" track, wiring protected, hitch, front & rear heated visor cord, limiter strap tightened one hole for better steering, BKR8EIX plugs, Yayou's updated reflash, clear hoses for the boost controller replaced , spring clamps replaced with tie downs on boost reference hoses, eliminated my gas and oily filter problem with rerouting line to exhaust, 23/44 gears, auto meter boost pressure gauge, ELA Engineering exhaust, precision PS2 turbo upgrade, boost box re-enforcement, 3 inch alternator pulley and belt upgrade, datalogger, Pre turbo shot of meth and post turbo as well.

+Quote Post
Snobeeler
post Feb 11 2009, 07:54 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Current Vehicle:
06 Classic, 14 Pro R 800

QUOTE(07_switchback @ Feb 10 2009, 07:47 PM) *

I used a automotive plug with a O ring. Worked perfect.

This post has been edited by Snobeeler: Feb 11 2009, 07:54 AM

--------------------
06 FST Classic............. 8,700 miles, All Updates and Team Tips Completed, Yayou's 2012 ECU Upgrade, Reinforced Boost Box, PS Advanced Rider Adjustable Boost Pressure Controller, Innovative Motorsports Data Logger, Stewert Warner Boost Gauge, 08 Spindles, SLP slt Ski's with Dual Runners, Revalved M-10 shocks, Reinforced Front A-Arm, Rebalanced Drive Clutch, SLP Heat Vents, Gearcase Alignment Done, Violet Wire Fix, Rerouted Cyclone Seperator Vent to Muffler, Jackshaft Notch, 12 Volt D-C Outlet, Gas Tank Float Level Modification, RC7PYCBX Spark Plugs.

2014 800 Switchback Pro R Adventure..........1650 Miles, Rerouted VES Solenoid Outlet (sound familiar), StudBoy Duece Runners, Heavy Rear Track Spring.

+Quote Post
Rossi
post Feb 11 2009, 08:19 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,323
Current Vehicle:
2006 Polaris FST Touring

QUOTE(Snobeeler @ Feb 11 2009, 07:54 AM) *
I used a automotive plug with a O ring. Worked perfect.

Just a thought... Previous owner/person may have stripped threads, and then used JB Weld or something to keep it in there. Others have... If I were you, I would consider leaving it alone and suck the fluid out, fill it, and call it a day. Any metal from chain/gear sticks to magnetic dip stick, and not enough left in there after sucking it out to matter. Guaranteed not to leak if you leave it the way it is.

+Quote Post
Rossi
post Feb 11 2009, 09:49 AM
Post #10

Current Vehicle:
2006 Polaris FST Touring

QUOTE(Rossi @ Feb 11 2009, 08:19 AM) *
Just a thought... Previous owner/person may have stripped threads, and then used JB Weld or something to keep it in there. Others have... If I were you, I would consider leaving it alone and suck the fluid out, fill it, and call it a day. Any metal from chain/gear sticks to magnetic dip stick, and not enough left in there after sucking it out to matter. Guaranteed not to leak if you leave it the way it is.

Oh by the way... That is what I do, and my drain plug is fine. After the first time I changed oil by removing the drain plug, and saw the cheap threads, I decided to suck out with turkey baster with hose attached, and works fine. Change once a year. Any metal shavings stick to the magnetic dip anyway, so nothing left in case to matter when you suck it out.

wink.gif

+Quote Post
Snobeeler
post Feb 11 2009, 11:00 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Current Vehicle:
06 Classic, 14 Pro R 800

QUOTE(Rossi @ Feb 11 2009, 09:19 AM) *
If I were you, I would consider leaving it alone and suck the fluid out, fill it, and call it a day.

His is already spinnig in the hole. Could come out or start leaking by itself, not a good idea for him.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rossi
post Feb 11 2009, 11:51 AM
Post #12

Current Vehicle:
2006 Polaris FST Touring

Ahhhh... My bad... huh.gif I thought it was seized in there, and not spinning free. (Hense, my thought about JB weld etc in previous post)

Too late then for sucking idea, but when fixed and new plug installed, I would still recommend considering a turkey baster and leave the new plug alone. There just doesn't seem to be enough aluminum there to keep the threads from stripping in the case. Turkey baster is cheaper than a new chain case.

+Quote Post
07_switchback
post Feb 11 2009, 12:22 PM
Post #13

Current Vehicle:

All excellent ideas here guys...thanks

--------------------
09 FST Switchback 136"

Boost Guage On Console
Muffler Mod
K&N Air Filter
Wrapped Intake Tube
Silicon Reference Lines
Long Brake Lever
Polaris Tunnel Bag
Polaris Windshield Bag
Stock Track w/ 168 Studs
Heated Shield Wire

+Quote Post
fastmnstealth
post Feb 12 2009, 08:10 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 3,232
Current Vehicle:
2011 Switchback Assault

On my wife FS Touring, I changed the fluid and it looked like it was smashed by hitting a rock or something. I tried to get the plug out and pulled the threads out with the plug.

I like keeping things stock.

I got a Helicoil kit and repaired the threads. It worked perfectly. I was able to use the stock plug.

Mark

--------------------
2001 xc120 - kids
1991 Indy Trail - kids
2006 FS Touring (mine when riding with family)
2008 FST Switchback (Wife's) - Sold
2011 Switchback Assault (silver - my new toy)

+Quote Post
07_switchback
post Feb 17 2009, 07:36 PM
Post #15

Current Vehicle:

Just a quick update...The drain plug was stripped because something hit it pretty hard, probably a rock or stump. Drain plug head was pretty smashed up and some of the metal was pushed in. Needless to say, the threading was stripped.

Solution: Dremel tool cut the plastic underneat to make it bigger to allow an automotive drain plug to fit. Re-tapped the threads w/ 1/2 inch NPT and installed 1/2" drain plug w/ washer. Worked beautifully.

Rode 230 miles and no leaks!

--------------------
09 FST Switchback 136"

Boost Guage On Console
Muffler Mod
K&N Air Filter
Wrapped Intake Tube
Silicon Reference Lines
Long Brake Lever
Polaris Tunnel Bag
Polaris Windshield Bag
Stock Track w/ 168 Studs
Heated Shield Wire

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
Help Search Members Calendar
BottomCorner PageBorder
BlueBar